first low and slow on wsm - "sooty"

SteveScheckner

Did my first low and slow BBQ pork butt on 18.5. Ended up with perfect moisture and nice bark, but a sooty flavor and a sandy/gritty mouth feel. Don't know if this is a result of the minion method or over smoking, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what the culprit would be.

1. Wsm 18.5
2 Kingsford blue, 4 medium chunks of apple and hickory
3 minion method
4 water pan filled with water
5 4 lb Boston butt
6 6 hrs @ 250 monitored w maverick thermometer
7 wrapped 2 hrs turbinado sugar honey and butter
8 off smoker at internal temp of 201

Notes...pulled perfectly. Dark pink dominate smoke ring. Lots of initial smoke from charcoal. Flakes came off cover later when I cleaned the smoker.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What type of rub did you use? Rubs that are on the heavy side with Paprika can have a gritty mouth feel. And some store bought rubs use natural smoke flavoring, which to me tastes oversmoked or sooty.

Tim

Tim and Bob have great points. Green wood is not good. Too much gritty rub can give a gritty mouth feel.

Also, did you wait until your fire burned clean before placing the meat on? With water in the pan and a moist meat exterior, the sooty smoke from KBB at the beginning of the burn will adhere to the moist air in the cooker and deposit it on the meat and inside of the cooker. For this reason I wait until the fire burns clean (no visible smoke) before adding the food and smoke wood. I also add wood one chunk at a time (but that's me being anal). You should only see thin blue smoke created by your smoke wood.

Last edited:
You guys rock. I think you hit the nail on the head from every angle. 1. I added additional paprika to counter the ancho Chile in my rub due to children being present. 2. Waiting for the sooty smoke to subside makes complete sense, and wasn't something that I read on any of the minion method insruction posts. Was wondering what that nasty smoke was doing to the exterior. Tasted like an ash tray. 3. Not sure about the wood. Used weber chunks in the plastic bag.

After 3 years of smoking with gas and thinking I know something, it's back to basics. I guess bottom line is nobody complained and they all went for seconds, and thanks to you guys it'll be a heck of a lot better next time.

Last edited:
I get the flakes inside any time I use water. Get a clay saucer and foil it. You won't get the rusty looking brown stuff either. I still use water when smoking Shrimp or Fish

Back