Limoncello.... Sicilian Style

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
This is a recipe from a friend and well known restauranteur here in Monterey (John Pisto of the Whaling Station). I've been making this for several years and have always enjoyed it.

When this is finished, you have a pretty strong drink at about 40 proof. Some Italians make limoncello with fairly pure grain alcohol, but John assures me that he and most Sicilians use vodka. But of course, most Sicilians think of themselves as Sicilian; not Italian.

The recipe goes as follows....

Limoncello Recipe

10 lemons

1 liter vodka

3 cups white sugar

4 cups water

Zest the lemons, and place the zests in a large glass bottle or jar.

Pour in vodka. Cover loosely and let infuse for one week at room temperature. After one week, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. DO Not Stir. Boil for 15 minutes then allow the syrup to cool to room temperature. Stir vodka mixture into syrup. Strain into glass bottle and seal each bottle with a cork. Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature. Place bottled liqueur into the freezer and serve when icy cold.

Some pictures....

arcd.jpg

x5rs.jpg

h30x.jpg

uu5m.jpg

uq14.jpg

The finished product... My wife is working on labels.
fy6v.jpg

Thanks for looking and give it a try!! You'll like it!

limoncello.jpg

nice job on the zesting and bottling. we use a vegetable peeler and it comes off in strips. long and tedious work to not get any of the pith, but the reward is worth it. our recipe came from ofena. we vary the amounts of simple sugar to change between sweet and strong depending on personal taste. we also use an everclear/vodka mix and let the rinds soak for over a month.

40 prrof seems weak for limocello. I'd think it should at least be 60-70. Here is how I've made it

-Grated zest of 20 lemons
-Grated zest of 2 oranges
-1 bottle (750 ml) 190-proof clear grain alcohol
-6 ounces orange vodka
-4 cups simple syrup

Combine first 4 ingredients and store at room temp for 2 weeks. Strain out solids. Add simple syrup.

This is strong enough to be stored in the freezer. I love it served ice cold.

Back