How to Measure Salt: It's not all the same by volume.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Excellent NY Times article I stumbled across. By feel and taste I'd learned to use less by volume of Mortons than Diamond Crystal ---- But I had no idea it should be nearly half.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/warning-measure-your-salt/?_r=0

Here's a synopsis:

So I got out a one-cup measure and a scale, and I weighed similar volumes of Morton’s and Diamond Crystal kosher salts, plus regular table salt, generic coarse sea salt and Malden sea salt from England (included for no reason other than that I think it is the most beautiful of salts). Here’s the outcome, rounded off to the nearest five grams or eighth of an ounce (no, this is not a scientific inquiry):

Morton’s kosher: 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces)

Diamond Crystal kosher: 135 grams (4 3/4 ounces)

Table salt: 300 grams (10 5/8 ounces)

Coarse sea salt: 210 grams (7 3/8 ounces)

Malden sea salt: 120 grams (4 1/4 ounces)

Given the amount of salt we all use in rubs and brines I know this is going to have an effect on my cooking going forward.

And the trouble is the majority of recipes use volume not weight.

Then there is another issue: recipe calls for 1/4 t of something. Now, in the grand scheme of things, 1/4t or 9 grams won't matter.

I've got a digital scale that goes to grams, not tenths but grams. There's a big difference in quantity in one gram.

More accuracy equals more $.

Or old fashion triple beam.

Yes, a tribeam would be okay although it's slower and bulkier. And I still retain mine that was purchased in the late '70s when I was taking college chemistry and working in analytical wet bench. What I really enjoy about the digital scales is their tare function. It speeds things up greatly, especially where adding ingredients to make bread dough is concerned.

Back