Unidentified Charcoal Substance-Frontier Lump Charcoal

Darrell O

TVWBB Fan
I have found some strange things in lump charcoal over the years, but this one has me perplexed. This collection is from a single bag of Frontier Lump Charcoal purchased from BJ's. This is after burning half of the bag. Does anyone know what these rock-like substances are and how they get into the bags?

Thanks for you insight.

Oak

image.jpg

Looks like slag of some kind. Lots of people like Frontier, I used about 1/3 of a bag and tossed the rest! Tasted bad, smelled bad, more crumbs and dust than any lump in the bag.

Clinkers? I remember clinkers produced in the furnace from burning coal. Maybe the plant that makes them does something with coal?

That's what they are, I used to get them after doing some blacksmithing stuff. Would be left over after the coal was done.

My local Home Depot is finally selling Royal Oak and I can also buy Nature's Own hardwood lump from a place nearby. I think that is the last bag of Frontier I buy.

Wonder how much those clinkers weigh? And was that weight included in the price per lb? I've found a rock or two but not that much trash.

I was about to ask the same questions. I have found one or two of these rocks in a few bags of Cowboy Lump Charcoal that I got on sale. Based on the comments above it sounds like it may be a by-product of the process or from another use of the same furnace?

It's probably baked mud/dirt that got scooped up with the un-charred wood and cooked in the retort.
Adobe clinkers! I used to work at a trash incinerator and we would rake stuff like that out of the furnace grates all day...it comes in glass , metal , mud , plastic....you name it , you can get clinkers of it.

I remember when I was young...clinkers would get ground up in to pea-gravel size and put into large wooden bins on the sides of the streets. If your car got stuck in the snow you just put a few shovels o' clinkers under the tires and get traction to get going.

I still don't want them in my charcoal.

-rog

Back