No picture aged steak post......just for info.

David

TVWBB Pro
I had taken pictures of this process, however, when uploading some pictures on my card, I clicked the box to erase all pictures one uploaded, obviously deleting picture that i did not want deleted........my bad.

As reported here by others, and "seen" on TV by none other than cooking guru Alton Brown, I tried the fridge aged steaks. After having read reports that aging them was great to reports saying it was crap, I did a little test myself, based solely on several eaters who knew not what they were eating. First off, i bought seven steaks, intending to have five folks over for dinner, couple of sons, girlfriend (a chef by the way), and wife and myself. I froze all of the steaks for three days, so that each steak suffered the same freezer conditions, then thawed four of them to age for seven days using the alton brown method of wrapping in paper towels. Two days prior to grilling I put the other steaks in the fridge to thaw. I then cooked them to all the same med. rare. As two inch ribeyes, I then sliced them into two separate plates asking each guest to separate the slices on their plate and judge each according to taste, tenderness, smell, and any other factor they felt warranted attention. My plate was plated when I was not in the room so I did not know which was which.

The net result was that four of the seven saw no difference in the two plates. One chose the aged, two chose the non age. I could not tell the difference. The chef among us thought that the aged steak had a slight "funky" kind of taste or smell to it. I then asked them and myself, if you had to chose one or the other which would you choose. Two chose aged, and five non aged.

I weighed the steaks when bought and tagged each one. I weighed the steaks prior to aging and after. The aged steaks lost on average just shy of 7% of their weight. I also weighed each steak when removed from the grill......After eating I looked at the weight data and found that each steak, aged or not aged, lost about the same amount of weight, so it was obvious that the non aged steaks just lost more moisture during the rest stage or during the cook.

So, the end result for me........I will not go to all the effort to home age steaks.........................d

Last edited:

Back