First KCBS comp Hillbilly Hog BBQ Throwdown in Clevland GA last weekend!!

This past weekend I competed in my first KCBS comp, Hillbilly Hog BBQ Throwdown in Cleveland GA. I used the drum, WSM, and acorn (green egg knockoff my buddy has). We cooked brisket and chicken on the drum. Pork Butts and Ribs on the WSM and peoples choice meats on the Acorn. Chicken got all 9s by one judge as did ribs and sauce - the rest must have been confused. Placed 4th in sauce and didn't come in last in anything. We had a pretty primitive set up compared to most teams. Temps went down into the 20's and the acorn and the WSM had to be refueled, but the drum went strong from around 6pm friday night until 1:00 Saturday afternoon. I would have liked to have been called up to get a trophy, but there is always next time and we know alot more now than we did. It was one of the coldest cooks I have ever done period and for our first comp I think we did ok. I also competed in people's choice wings and pulled pork, so we bit off alot for our first comp. I am proud of what we did for our first time.
My girlfriend did a great job on the boxes as it was her first time doing them.

Congrats! I saw a bunch of UDS(s) and WSM(s) at the Jack. One team in the past winners circle(Smokon Guns) cooked on a cpl drum smokers that weren't near as nice lookin as that Big Poppa conversion you have pictured. Of course there were Jambos, Stumps, Backwoods, Yoders, and others as well but your setup could have been right at home there.

Last edited:
Congratulation Hamilton!

There should be an award for first-timers. Good job! Although I live in Colorado, I was in the Atlanta area that weekend and drove up to Cleveland, GA to see my first Georgia competition. I remember seeing your site because I liked your rocking chair graphic and the fact you had a WSM in your arsenal. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time, you were a TVWBB member. I hope you keep competing and I get to another GA event that will include you and your team.

Last edited:

Back