The 2013 Jack

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Anyone else heading to the Jack this weekend? I am taking my annual trek to Lynchburg Sat AM and plan to meet some folks at the judges area about 11:00. If anyone else is heading that way you're welcome to meet up with us to take a photo! :cool:

Say Hello to Left Coast Q & Who's Smokin' Now? Send them a good luck from Vicious Smoke!

I wish I had the funds to travel and do lots of other things...:)
Please take pics and share?

Say Hello to Left Coast Q & Who's Smokin' Now? Send them a good luck from Vicious Smoke!

null_zps75022d0e.jpg

I didn't see Who's Smokin Now. Left Coast were some good dudes.

I wish I had the funds to travel and do lots of other things...:)
Please take pics and share?

Here are a few I took Tony. We had a great time.

null_zps30954acd.jpg

null_zps40382c66.jpg

null_zpsd27c2637.jpg

Taken ~ an hour before turn in - the eventual Grand Champion in action

Last edited:
Dwain,

THANKS for the pictures !!!
Looks like loads of fun !

ps. here's a picture of Left Coast's smoker earlier this morning...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668918493132865&set=a.196707180354001.54058.125103440847709&type=1&theater

That's a cool photo. It dipped to 28*F at my house which is about 45 min S of Lynchburg but it warmed to 60*F quickly by mid day. It was fun going around seeing all the different set ups and talkin to the folks.

There were A LOT of WSM(s) in the competition. Most were controlled by a guru but some were naturally aspirated with a Mav or temp probe stuck thru the top vent. It was great to once again see the same pit I use to produce competition level BBQ.

Congats to Tuffy Stone and Cool Smoke for their Grand Champion call.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Left Coast finished 11th overall with a 2nd in sauce and an 8th in ribs. Who's Smokin' Now? was 9th in ribs. CA teams represented well...

I got to judge this year for the first time. In your judging area photo, I would be in the far back right. I was literally right up against the stage.

Too cool! How did you get the invite?

To be honest, I don't know. I just got the email that I'd been invited about two weeks before The Jack.

I know the person who coordinates bringing judges in and such, and I told her years ago that I'd like to do it sometime, but that's the last I'd ever mentioned it.

The sad thing is that while every piece of barbecue I had was good, little was great. Luck of the draw, I suppose. I had my hopes set high, though.

Back