Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

Who has the winning entry in Throwdown#16: Tri-Tip?

• Mike Cosgrove: Grilled Tri Tip Sammys

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Chris H: Tri-Tip Two Ways

• Dwain Pannell: Tri-Tip Oscar

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Sheila Cochran: First Attempt at Tri-Tip

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Chris Sherman: Oak Smoked Tri-Tip

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Chris Archie: Tri-Tip with Green Chile Powder Rub

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • russ olin: Tri-Tip to a Trisket

• Steve Aguilar: Reverse Sear Santa Maria Tri-Tip

• Bill - Bigbill: Tri-Tip Overnight Soak in Red Wine, Balsamic

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mildo: Tri-Tip from Prague

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Grilling & Barbecuing Fans!

Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip has drawn to a close. We've got some mouth-watering entries this time around. Now it's time for the voting...

Here are links to each entry so you can review the photos and descriptions:

Voting ends on Monday, October 28 at 7:45pm PT.

Good luck!
Chris

I reduced it down to 3, kicked the next, which barely made it to 3, and then I had to choose, and the most rare won, and even then it was not rare enough for me. Actually, I'm sure they all tasted quite good..........................d

Even though I have an entry in, I gotta vote for Mildo.
First and foremost, obtaining tri-tip in Czechoslovakia cannot have been an easy feat.
Then the prep and sides...outstanding!

Soooooooooooo, after searching all over for a Tri Tip in my area, to no avail, I go in the store today to get a beef tenderloin, and there right next to it is a Tri Tip.:confused: A butcher is putting some meat in a ways down, so I ask him when they started carrying tips, he says, yea, we decided to start carrying them after some guy came in complaining we had recipes on the web site for them, but didn't carry them........:mad:

hmmmmm, I think, that was me:cool:.................lol.................just a day late for this contest:p So I bought one to find out what I've been mssing.:)...........................d

Soooooooooooo, after searching all over for a Tri Tip in my area, to no avail, I go in the store today to get a beef tenderloin, and there right next to it is a Tri Tip.:confused: A butcher is putting some meat in a ways down, so I ask him when they started carrying tips, he says, yea, we decided to start carrying them after some guy came in complaining we had recipes on the web site for them, but didn't carry them........:mad:

hmmmmm, I think, that was me:cool:.................lol.................just a day late for this contest:p So I bought one to find out what I've been mssing.:)...........................d

NICE job David....you're out there making a difference!

Oh, that's a great story, David! Holding them accountable for their recipe, and securing tri-tip for your fellow shoppers! Hope you enjoy grilling it.

David, I hope you slapped them up a little about that...
what price did they soak you for those elusive cuts...?

David, I hope you slapped them up a little about that...
what price did they soak you for those elusive cuts...?

I thought it was a tad high at 7.99lb for choice, but a premium store cut, whatever that means. I saw where someone in challenge thread paid 2.99 so that's not good, for me. Sure looks like a lean cut of meat however..................d

Only for interest.
Price Tri tip in the Czech Republic.

after unpacking
1.5 kg untrimmed TT - 330 CZK/kg
(3.3 lb untrimmed TT - 7.95/lb)

tmp8EC.jpg

after the trimmed and after the conversion price to the ratio of the weight
1 kg a lean cut of meat - 495 CZK/kg
(2.2 lb a lean cut of meat - 12.85/lb)

tmp289D.jpg

Nothing cheap here:(, but definitely buy it again in the future.

That's an aggressive trim. I like to leave a little more fat on mine.
I've also cooked them totally untrimmed with good results...trimming post-cook if necessary.
Tri-tip fat can absorb some great flavor. ;)

Only for interest.
Price Tri tip in the Czech Republic.

after unpacking
1.5 kg untrimmed TT - 330 CZK/kg
(3.3 lb untrimmed TT - 7.95/lb)

tmp8EC.jpg

after the trimmed and after the conversion price to the ratio of the weight
1 kg a lean cut of meat - 495 CZK/kg
(2.2 lb a lean cut of meat - 12.85/lb)

tmp289D.jpg

Nothing cheap here:(, but definitely buy it again in the future.

Wow. That's an extra lean piece of meat. No marbling at all! Huh. I'd like to see a lot more fat within the striations. As far as the outer fat trim, I'm fine with what he cut off. Fat on the outside isn't going make your meat any juicier and inhibits the rubs from bonding to the surface. Less fat on the outside means better bark…and no flare ups while searing.

It seems that i have gained the most votes. Well, the fact that it was my first tri-tip multiplies my joy. Thank you very much! I must say that it is a fantastic piece of meat, and thank you for the inspiration of cooking it. I must mention that all participants cook a very tasty meal and for me is it the next inspiration - and it is this especially goes here;).

As for the prize - a one year subscription to Cook's Illustrated magazine ...
Do not worry Chris. Shipping to Europe would be costly and therefore my prize please send the address of a man who gave TVWBB much information as (please).
Around here we all agree on the name - Kevin Kruger.

My biggest win was the moment when i found this site:).

Oh, and there is a nice feeling to rank alongside the winners.
Once again thank you.

Items for next Throwndown - hm, hm, I'll think of something ...:rolleyes:

Congratulations Mildo !! Very well deserved!!! :D Everything you did was absolute perfection!!

I had a blast cooking for the contest. The finished product was so good… I totally agree to your comments on how fantastic the Tri-Tip is. I truly appreciate all those who cast a vote my way, thanks to each of you - your support has inspired me!!! The forum, and the folks who contribute to it, continues to "stoke" my desire to become better at cooking outdoors !

Back