Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanGarcia View Post
    i want one!! you gonna sell them ?
    Well, I just got mine done yesterday so I haven't thought that far ahead yet, and I am running low on filament at the moment but my order is in for 2 spools that should be coming soon... but I might decide to make some to sell eventually. I really have no idea what I would charge for one though... both pieces print together in about 5 hours, then I have to clean out all the support material, trim off the pad, and then wire the thing up and make an adapter plate for your grill. So there is a fair amount of time involved in getting it all together. I also have yet to make an actual mount for the blower, right now the hole for the blower is made tight enough so when I force it in there it holds pretty solid, but if I were to sell one I think I should print an actual mount for the blower so I know it is going to stay put for you without fiddling with it (though I have never had a problem with the force fit on my adapters, I wouldn't want to sell one and let the owner have a problem)

What kind of grill do you have? I am wondering what kind of adapter you would need to attach it to your grill? I have been using copper pipe and plate to make my grill adapters (because copper can be soldered and doesn't rust, and making right angles is easy), it works out well on my FauxMado grill but I haven't made one for another grill yet.
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 10-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.

TVWBB Member
    I have an XL big green egg (also have a small bge that i would also like to use) but the xl is my main grill.... i would be fine with just the valve as i could fab up the adapter etc.... let me know

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I just tracked the shipment of my filament order and it says it wont be here until Tuesday (guess I should have shelled out the $5 extra for faster shipping, cause I thought when ordering Sunday it would arrive by this weekend with standard shipping) BTW, the colors I ordered are Orange and "Glow in the Dark" Blue. I thought glow in the dark might be cool for the damper, but I will have to see how well it prints. I almost ordered a color changing filament that goes from Green to Yellow at about 91F but decided to try the glow in the dark first. The Orange I have used before, it printed very well and has a nice bright color...

So I wont be able to print any jobs this large until next week when I get my filament (and I will only have those two colors to offer, I have a few more colors I can offer for the arrow and marker lines).

Meanwhile I am making a few tweaks to the design.... One thing I am working on now is adding 3 probe jacks that I will connect to the CAT5 connector so (theoretically) we can make the probe connections on the back of the damper and connect them to the HM through the CAT5 cable if you like... I haven't tested this yet (connecting the probes through the CAT5 cable) so I am not sure if it will work well, or if long CAT5 cable runs will effect the probe accuracy or not. If it works out you will be able to run three probes, the servo damper and the blower over a standard CAT5 cable which will allow you to keep the HM further away from the pit in case of bad weather/winter etc.

You should have no problem running the probes over cat5 cable.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    You should have no problem running the probes over cat5 cable.
    Great, thanks for that reply. I am working out the mount for the probe jacks right now... Winter seems to be coming on now and I would like to get this working before it gets too cold. I will have to do some experimenting on how long the CAT5 cable run can be before it causes an issue (if at all), I've been thinking of building in a CAT5 jack box on my deck with a wire that runs into my house so I won't have to prop a door or window open to let the cable in... Wireless sure would be easier, but if it will all work over a long CAT5 cable that'll work too. I guess it would be kinda cool to plug my grill into a CAT5 wall jack on my deck to control it, really nice for winter cooking....

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Juan, what did you have in mind to use for your grill adapter? Square, Round? I could make the output of the valve be whatever shape/size, but I would prefer to test the fit before I send it out to you.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    if it will all work over a long CAT5 cable that'll work too. I guess it would be kinda cool to plug my grill into a CAT5 wall jack on my deck to control it, really nice for winter cooking....
    100Mb Ethernet runs at 100 meter segments before requiring a repeater, I think you'll be fine unless you're pushing much less power than Ethernet to your probes to your buddy's house all the way down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Peterson View Post
    100Mb Ethernet runs at 100 meter segments before requiring a repeater, I think you'll be fine unless you're pushing much less power than Ethernet to your probes to your buddy's house all the way down the street.
    Just remember that the 100 meter limitation is for solid core cat5, not the stranded stuff that patch cables are made from.

The cat5 distance limitations only apply because of the fast signaling rate being transmitted across the wires. The signals from the servo/blower/probes are extremely slow, so that is not a concern at all. What could be more of a concern is the resistance of the wire since it will be in series with the thermistor, but unless you're running extremely long distances with really thin gauge wire with a thermistor that has a low nominal resistance value it shouldn't be a concern.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I've been running the servo damper and blower through a CAT5 cable for a long time now, it was the resistance of the wire and possibly the connectors that I wasn't sure about having an effect on the probe readings/resistance.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast