Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071

Thread: INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

Quote Originally Posted by David V View Post
    Hey all, I ordered the RD3 from Ralph a few days ago and am working on putting it together, but I feel stumped here. How the heck does one get the RJ45 jack into the control box. I know it's supposed to snap into it but that just ain't happening. Can someone assist with letting me know how it's oriented into the box, or tips on how best to snap it in. I don't think it matters, but I'm just using the basic setup. No RDTC board or anything.

I have yet to get to the wiring stage, but that'll come later.
    Have same issue. I got from friend, and not put togeter. He bout some other controller. Sorry for english. lan will not go in. Al so, not can get the adapt peice to go on. too tite. OK to knive some plastic off to fit?
    Still puting heatermeter togehter. Any way to test with out having heatermeter?

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Use the control box that has three holes, not the one with two holes and a rectangle (that is for RDTC). Make sure you have this cat5 jack, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...5-LA/206427964 . Best to test fit the jack from the outside first, if it doesn't fit or is too tight then lightly scrape the opening until it fits with a file, knife etc. The plastic is easily worked with hand tools. Don't open it up too wide, you want the parts to fit tight to keep water out.
    After you have a good fit from the outside then insert the jack from the inside with the locking tab facing up. When you slide the wiring box on the body choose the orientation where the CAT5 jack will point downward when the RD3 is on your grill (to keep water out).
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

OK, I will try. Thank you.

Looking for thoughts before I put heat to this smoker. Here is a pic of how I mounted my RD3 to my Offset Smoker. Anyone try something similar and have problems with heat conducting through mounting plate and pipe and melting RD3?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cja...ew?usp=sharing

Direct URL to image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cja...ew?usp=sharing

Hmmm.... trying to get image link to work... no luck.
    Last edited by Sandy Dameron; 02-11-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Trying to get image link working.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    How far into the fire pit does that pipe extend? If it doesnt go too far in you should be ok, temps drop rapidly over a couple inches. but if you've got a bunch of pipe in the fire heating up you may still have trouble.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Thanks Ralph! Pipe is pretty much flush with the inside of that fabricated plate, extends only about 1/4 into the firebox. Thanks for your input, makes me feel better about firing it up.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    If anything melts just shoot me an email and I will set you up with more parts, but I suspect you'll be fine...
    BTW, Nice looking adapter there!

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071