SYD - an entire KCBS Comp on a single 12" mini WSM

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
From Harry Soo's facebook page...

This Saturday, at the Lancaster (Calif) KCBS competition, Harry Soo will try to cook all 4 meats on a single 12" mini WSM !!!!
He will the first, as far as anyone knows, to accomplish this feat.
After judging, I plan on stopping by for his post-cook critique.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151700228371586&set=a.177380596585.127340.177370966585&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702494786586&set=a.177380596585.127340.177370966585&type=1&theater

Way to go Harry !!!

Last edited:
Well, he hasn't decided yet...but I'll be there in-person to nudge him in that direction! LOL

Steve... better you do the nudging that me, since mine can only be post event nudging ;)
See you there. Both of us will stop by your tent, say after 2 ;)

Wishing you Excellence in BBQ at Lancaster !

Steve... better you do the nudging that me, since mine can only be post event nudging ;)
See you there. Both of us will stop by your tent, say after 2 ;)

Wishing you Excellence in BBQ at Lancaster !

Sounds like a plan, Bob. See ya there!

"After judging, I plan on stopping by for his post-cook critique."

See if you can get him to post his critique on his website or on here. Would love to read it. What an accomplishment that would be to cook all 4 on a mini. He is "The Man" with Webers, though.

Most certainly ! Donna will be cooking with Harry, which if they do use the micro-mini (grin), is kinda funny in that both normally cook solo but team up for this... ;)

Bob

Harry did it !!!! History has been made ! :wsm: All 4 KCBS meats on a single 12" mini WSM.

2nd in Ribs, 8th in Chicken, 10th in Pork and 1st in Dessert.

Spoke with Harry and Donna following judging. Harry will be doing a critique in his blog.

WAY TO GO HARRY !!!!

It was cool to see this in-person. I took my new 14.5 WSM for my chicken turn-in (14th overall...it was a tough table that included Big Poppa Smokers & Burnin and Lootin). Harry got a kick out of the new smaller WSM. He told me that he was going to buy a couple them. He and Donna also liked the new mini Weber chimney coal starter. Harry took a few pics of the 14.5 side-by-side with his DIY mini (made for him by Kris Almquist of Karnivorous BBQ...excellent work). Harry was glad to see the new additions to all the WSMs including the probe grommets & handles on the lower grate. "They are listening to us users", he said.

You couldn't help but root for Harry yesterday. He's such a great ambassador for BBQ, especially to new teams. In the cooks meeting I overheard Harry introduce himself to a new team and invite them over to his cook site for tips and advise. It was nice to see him do so well...except when we were both at the same rib table and he beat me by ranking 1st at the table to my 2nd (he was 2nd overall in ribs and I was 3rd!). Great job, Harry!

Steve...

A BIG Congratulations to you and your team on an Excellent cook this weekend !!!

Walked the area after release but didn't see your tent. Harry pointed over toward your site,
but we still didn't find it. Probably due to our overstuffed condition... ;)

Till next event(s) (Lake Elsinore)...

Bob

Steve...

A BIG Congratulations to you and your team on an Excellent cook this weekend !!!

Walked the area after release but didn't see your tent. Harry pointed over toward your site,
but we still didn't find it. Probably due to our overstuffed condition... ;)

Till next event(s) (Lake Elsinore)...

Bob

No problem, Bob. I know there were a lot of places & faces you wanted to see, I'm sure. I'm glad you got to speak to Harry while you were there. He had a lot of curious visitors both days...and they were the other teams mostly. LOL

Back