Which Automatc Temp Control should I Buy?

Steph V

TVWBB Member
My question is which automatic temperature control unit should I buy? First of all I've never used one and don't know a lot about them....only what I've seen on tv and read on this board. I am convinced that ATC's are VERY important to making consistently great BBQ when it comes to large cuts of meat.

1. I use a WSM 22.5.
2. I do use water in the pan...Does an ATC mean I have to stop and start cooking with no water? If so, why?
3. As a wise man once said "A man has got to know his limitations" so I don't mind hiring someone who is VERY competent with a drill to drill a hole in my unit to run chords (if anybody in the Middle Tennessee area is up for a little extra cash).
4. I do have a Droid phone and love the idea of having pit temp data sent to the phone. However, I'm about to ditch the smart phone and plan to go back to the flip phone. Will a flip phone be able to receive that kind of data?
5. Do ATC's run on batteries or can you use an extension chord? I almost always cook at home with access to an outdoor power outlet but what if I go to a local competition or cookout and don't have access to an outdoor outlet....then what?
6. I am seriously considering buying an additional WSM so l like the idea of a Stoker being able to run several pits at once but hey, I can just as easily buy additional Digiq's. or Party Q's, or Guru's etc.
7. I am not a techie. I have heard that Stokers are VERY complex. If that is true then that likely is not an option.

So which ATC should I go with?....Thanks in advance.

I believe there are many many opinions on which ATC is best. Kinda like picking a truck: Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, etc. I am a Ford guy but my brother is a Chevy guy. I believe they are all good at what they do.

After using a Pitmaster iQ I decided that kind of precision is not that important to me (for most cooks I'm content with 250* plus or minus 25*) so I sold it. I am a backyard guy and I don't plan to compete though I do enjoy judging. Who knows though, I may change my mind later.

Having said that I think this is going to be a personal decision based on research. There will be a significant feature that one unit has that the others don't that will influence the decision for you.

1. I imagine this will influence your fan size.
2. I don't think ATC(s) requires no water in the pan but I would follow mfr instructions on the matter.
3. I believe most ATC(s) don't require drilling into the cooker.
4. I do not believe a flip phone will get all the data available. Though I think some ATC(s) will send you a text message on alarms and alerts. This could be your deciding factor.
5. I think most ATC(s) can be run from batteries. Some are even intended for tailgating. Others made require AC and you may need a generator to operate it away from home.
6. Cool
7. I think it's like anything. There will be a learning curve at first, then you begin to understand how it works, and after a while it's second nature.

Last edited:
Steph
I have the DigiQ DX2 and am real pleased at how it performs with my WSM 22. I do love gadgets but the CyberQ models seemed to be more complicated then I needed. It took a couple of cooks to get the hang of the DigiQ a short learning curve and it does a sweet job on holding the temp. If you haven't read any customer reviews online you may find it helpful, I did. Was leaning toward the CyberQ until I read comments on the challenges of the CyberQ. But it does have all the bells and whistles.
Hope this helps some:wsm:

Last edited:
I have a 18.5 WSM and I went with the Guru DX2 and absolutely love it. First cook I did with it was a overnight pork shoulder and went to bed at 12:30 set at 230º and woke up at 6 and still sitting at 230º. Here is a YouTube video on the operation which happens to be your 22.5" model which convinced me to get it.

They're all fine but it depends on your needs and what fits your budget. I personally don't care about controlling from my computer or phone so the IQ works great and i like the PartyQ for simplicity and ease of set up. I also like the rain box you can make for it...rain snow wind is no problem

Last edited:
I have the Ique 110. I like how it connects to the WSM, so that was one thing that sold me on it. It works very well, I just did 13+ hours 2 nights ago without issues.

Steph, like you I struggled with which ATC to buy. I decided on the Digiq DX2 and love it. Have used it about 4 times now and it has performed flawlessly, although I did (needlessly) babysit it on its first cook. It will come with a 10CFM fan, more than adequate for the 22.5 WSM; in fact I usually set the damper on the blower to only 33% open. I run an extension cord from the screened-in porch out to the smoker, but BBQ Guru has an adapter you can purchase for battery power if you need that option. You don't need to mod your WSM to install it. The DX2 will not email you, but the next model up (CyberQ) would, plus it has many other features. I only ran my smoker with water once, on the first cook when I purchased the smoker, and quickly decided I didn't want to mess with greasy water ever again. BBQ Guru folks recommend running WITHOUT water. And I've found the BBQ Guru staff to be very quick to respond should you have questions or concerns.

Bottom line, I think you'll be very happy with whatever ATC you decide to buy, you'll for sure get much more sleep with one...at least I do!

I have an older, non-network version of BBQ Guru, and a networked (but not wi-fi, have to use a bridge) stoker. Both work great. Which ever one you get, think very seriously about getting one with wi-fi. It will allow you to monitor your smoker anywhere if you have a smart phone. I put a butt or brisket on first thing in the morning, go to work and check on it throughout the day.

....Which ever one you get, think very seriously about getting one with wi-fi. It will allow you to monitor your smoker anywhere if you have a smart phone. I put a butt or brisket on first thing in the morning, go to work and check on it throughout the day.....

I second this comment! I *immediately* regretted not going the extra $100 for the CyberQ, especially since the CyberQ ships with 3 food probes (vs 1 for Digiq)...two food probes alone is $50. Don't get me wrong, I'm still mega happy but sure wish I had the wi-fi feature - would be cool to monitor from my laptop or cell phone! I like the techie stuff!! :cool:

Hi Steph,

Have a question... Back in April 2012 you were having high temperature issues which are normal for a new WSM. In a later post, I see you were closing all vents and that did not snuff out the coals. Are you now able to snuff out the coals ? Reason I ask is that while an ATC is absolutely great at maintaining a controlled temperature, it will not overcome basic issues if some exist.

Bob

Hi Steph,

Have a question... Back in April 2012 you were having high temperature issues which are normal for a new WSM. In a later post, I see you were closing all vents and that did not snuff out the coals. Are you now able to snuff out the coals ? Reason I ask is that while an ATC is absolutely great at maintaining a controlled temperature, it will not overcome basic issues if some exist.

Bob

Hey Bob, how are you? You're right, I did have trouble snuffing out the coals after a cook back then, I figured it was just new - but I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the stock door on the WSM and no amount of manipulation resolved it - so I broke down and ordered a Cajun Bandit stainless door. That took care of it. A pricey fix, but I like being able to snuff the coals! Probably has already paid for itself in saved fuel!

On my last cook, I noticed a lot of smoke is now coming from around the lid ...had to use foil to fill the gap it was leaking so bad. I had to have a new roof put on a few weeks ago, when I got home I saw that the workers moved my smoker way out into the yard away from the house. Now I'm wondering if they dropped it or something. :mad:

At any rate, even with having to use the foil like I did, I was able to salvage a significant amount of coals after that last 13 hour cook.

Take Care !

Whoops, Bob - just realized your comment wasn't directed to me. My bad. What a coincidence that I had the same trouble as Steph back when I first got the WSM. :)

Hi Sheila,

(chuckle...) No problem, we're amongst friends... ;) The initial steps you took were the correct ones. Good on you !
I wonder if the roofers may have slightly bent the middle section out of round. Hope they didn't drop the lid.

My Best to You.

Bob

Hi Steph,

I've been using one form or another of Guru over the last 7 or 8 years. Since I really like to cook briskets (big ones) I'm a big fan of ATCs. Consistency aside. It's much more pleasant for me to cook now. I can actually get some sleep when I'm using one.

That said if I could do any of my Gurus from scratch I'd go straight to the CyberQ wifi. The wifi feature eliminates a lot of the wireless probes I needed to use. It uncomplicates the setup. I used to really dread setting up 2 ATC probes and 1 - 3 Wifi probes. Sometimes my pit looked like a science experiment.

Now - even if I'm cooking 3 meats - it's a maximum of 4 wires and most often only 2. Before I was dealing with a minimum of 4.

I'm also going to say being able to get to it from a Laptop or a smartphone is nice.

Personally I didn't find the set up - about 2 months ago - all that difficult but I'm comfortable with that kind of stuff. If I was unsure of myself in this area not certain I could recommend it.

Anyway, here's my take on your questions.

1. I use a WSM 22.5.

- I use an 18.5 with a 10 CFM fan. I imagine that's what you'd want to be looking at with 22.5.

2. I do use water in the pan...Does an ATC mean I have to stop and start cooking with no water? If so, why?

- It does not. I've done both. I settled on going no water. Easier clean up and didn't feel I needed the heat "spike" control. Have started experimenting with clay discs though.

3. As a wise man once said "A man has got to know his limitations" so I don't mind hiring someone who is VERY competent with a drill to drill a hole in my unit to run chords (if anybody in the Middle Tennessee area is up for a little extra cash).

- You can get a grommet that will go through the rivets in a wsm. I'm pretty sure they come with the Guru starter kits and I'm pretty sure I've seen them sold separately from BBQ Guru and Cajun bandit. On a handyman scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being experienced expert mechanid I'd put the operation at about a 2. It was really painless and I'm pretty sure fool proof.

4. I do have a Droid phone and love the idea of having pit temp data sent to the phone. However, I'm about to ditch the smart phone and plan to go back to the flip phone. Will a flip phone be able to receive that kind of data?

- Probably not - unless the flip phone has wifi capability - and you might want to find a tech savy friend if you're going to try to hook up a wifi version to your home network and PC.

5. Do ATC's run on batteries or can you use an extension chord? I almost always cook at home with access to an outdoor power outlet but what if I go to a local competition or cookout and don't have access to an outdoor outlet....then what?

- I've always run off of an extension cord.

6. I am seriously considering buying an additional WSM so l like the idea of a Stoker being able to run several pits at once but hey, I can just as easily buy additional Digiq's. or Party Q's, or Guru's etc.

- Good point if you're thinking of running multiple pits at once. I've never done it but if I were to I can see how Stoker's multi pit would be a neat feature.

7. I am not a techie. I have heard that Stokers are VERY complex. If that is true then that likely is not an option.

- Have never seen a Stoker - although I read good things about them. Having owned a DigiQ I'm sure you could handle it. Using a CyberQ I wouldn't steer you to it unless you had a friend who could help you with initial setup and trouble shooting down the road.

---Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This is the best board ever! I've never seen so many people jump in to help. I really appreciate everone's comments!

Bob-Yes. My problem from a year ago is resolved. My midsection was out of round. The new midsection fits in nice and snug when you set it in the lower section and then give it a turn. I have absolutely no problems snuffing out coals now. The old midsection issue was hard to catch. From the outside you couldn't detect the gap. I had to use a flashlight at night (find the light find the out of round portion).

All-
1. I can't believe I forgot to ask about fans. Fortunately some you brought that up. Sounds like the 10cf fan is the way to go (judging by comments). Is there any benefit and/or downside to going with a larger fan or is the 10cf fan the biggest there is?

Rob O,
I have seen the gromets at Cajun Bandit. They look great because they don't require drilling. However it seems like someone told me that no more than 2 chords would fit through one of those gromets so that means you can't use multiple chorded meat probes but heck, I use a Thermopen.....do I really NEED all of those meat probes if I'm using a Thermopen? You also mention wireless probes...are you talking about witless meat probes? Goodness, I didn't know they even made such a thing! Every meat probe I have seen had a wire on it...Like the Maverick. Is a wireless meat probe something new?

CyberQ WiFi- Even if I ditch the smart phone I will still have a laptop running off a wireless modem. Is that all you need for a CyberQ? You also mention initial setup being difficult for a CyberQ. Is it only tough from a WiFi sense or is it tough from an assembly point of view and an operational point if view as well?I do have a friend who can help me get the WiFi part up and going but he won't be here when I cook. If there are technical issues (crashing...constant resetting and micro managing etc) then I should probably steer clear of Cyber Q.

Again-Thanks in advance.

This is the best board ever! I've never seen so many people jump in to help. I really appreciate everone's comments!

Rob O,
I have seen the gromets at Cajun Bandit. They look great because they don't require drilling. However it seems like someone told me that no more than 2 chords would fit through one of those gromets so that means you can't use multiple chorded meat probes but heck, I use a Thermopen.....do I really NEED all of those meat probes if I'm using a Thermopen? You also mention wireless probes...are you talking about witless meat probes? Goodness, I didn't know they even made such a thing! Every meat probe I have seen had a wire on it...Like the Maverick. Is a wireless meat probe something new?

Again-Thanks in advance.

Hi.

1. You can use more than one grommet per pit.
2. Using a wireless probe helps you avoid opening the lid when you need to check the temp.
3. There's practically no physical assembly with the CyberQ Wifi. Where I suspect you might need help would be with things like getting it to connect to your home network the way you'd need.

1. I can't believe I forgot to ask about fans. Fortunately some you brought that up. Sounds like the 10cf fan is the way to go (judging by comments). Is there any benefit and/or downside to going with a larger fan or is the 10cf fan the biggest there is?
They will tell you a 5cfm is more than adequate. It will work, but a 10cfm will stoke a low fire faster. I think a 25cfm would be way too much. may blow ash around.

CyberQ WiFi- Even if I ditch the smart phone I will still have a laptop running off a wireless modem. Is that all you need for a CyberQ? You also mention initial setup being difficult for a CyberQ. Is it only tough from a WiFi sense or is it tough from an assembly point of view and an operational point if view as well?I do have a friend who can help me get the WiFi part up and going but he won't be here when I cook. If there are technical issues (crashing...constant resetting and micro managing etc) then I should probably steer clear of Cyber Q.
How stable your WiFi is, is going to depend on current WiFi quality (interference and close neighbors on same channel) and distance your CyberQ WiFi is from your WiFi access point (or how close your neighbors is).
If you want to access the ATC from outside of your local WiFi network, you will need to setup port forwarding on internet router to your CyberQ. I would suggest using a static IP address rather than letting it be assigned by your DHCP server in your router. That way you don't have to look at the DHCP server client list to find the IP address, which you'll need to access the CyberQ from local network or internet.

There are a few other things you'd need to do to access it from the internet though such as:
1. Setup port forwarding on your internet router. I use a non-standard port number, something like 24831. Bots are always scanning the standard ports, maybe all ports now. And I disable the port forwarding function when the stoker is not being used.
2. When using the stoker, I enable port forwarding and verify the public IP address of your router.
3. Setup or update browser shortcut on your smartphone or PC using the public IP address and external port number, such as http://71.41.33.168:24831
4. If using a smartphone app or PC app from the internet, again use the public IP address and port, not the IP on your local network.

There may be a How To somewhere on this site about this stuff.

Steve-My WiFi connection seems pretty stable most of the time. With the CyberQ WiFi, does it have manual controls that will keep the unit going if the WIFi goes down during a cook? Digi Q seems to be 100% manual so I'm wondering if CyberQ has an overide built in that detcts an internet crash and saves your cook in the event of an internet failure? Also, I thought I saw that the CyberQ claims to be water resistant. Naturally, I would want to construct a rain box, but any water resistant qualities would be viewed as a big plus.

All ATCs can be set manually and function without Wifi connection, Guru and Stoker models anyway. The home brew models may need a client to update it. Network connectivity is only needed if you want to connect to it to monitor it or update the settings. If there's any chance of rain, I put my stoker in a big ziplock storage bag with the cables sticking out the end. I use foil to make a tent for the fan.

Last edited:
I have only used a Stoker, which I've had since they first came out. (I sent it in to Rock's for a firmware update and they told me it was one of the first 10 they built.) The Stoker is not really that complex, but navigating through the menu to set it up can be a pain, since you have only a 1-line readout and several buttons. Using Stokerlog takes care of that problem, allowing you to see everything at once on your computer screen. It's a lot simpler, and you don't have to have a wi-fi connection, you can connect the Stoker to a computer by cable. I've used a long cable between the Stoker and a laptop for years to monitor the cook without having to go outside every time. I've only recently added a wireless access point so I don't have to run the cable out the window in winter any more.

Setup of the Stoker only requires a few steps, basically associating a blower with a temperature probe (so the unit knows which probe is to control the blower), setting your fire temperature (target, high alarm limit, and low alarm limit), your meat temperature, and what alarms you want. Once that's done, it remembers the setup. Mine is basically set up for a fire temperature of 250, and meat temperature of 195. I mostly cooks butts so I don't have to change anything. For the new ones with built-in wi-fi there will be additional steps to set that up, but I expect it would be no harder than adding another laptop or phone to your home network.

I stopped using water in the pan before I got the Stoker, so I don't know how the combination of automatic temperature control and water would work. I didn't like burning charcoal to create steam, and then having to deal with the greasy/smokey water afterward.

Whatever unit you choose, there will be a lot of people here who have experience with it, and as you can see we are more than happy to share what we've learned.

Back