Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bostwick View Post
    http://uds.servebeer.com

Had a few hiccups at the beginning. I bought 2 new ET732 probes and im not sure if I like them. I had them in boiling water and they checked ok. Well see how they work.
    215 setpoint? You are a much more patient person than I. People give me flak about 225. Your drum changes temps fast!

TVWBB Wizard
    Well I have all night......low and slow it will be lol

As for the Temp changes, I too was wondering this morning about it. I have the blower going into the drum with a Ball valve in-between. I had a mark on it, that when set to that mark it would starve the UDS just enough that the fan would just come on, once a minute or two. Today im using a pit probe I have not used in a long time, I did check it prior to make sure it works and seemed to work fine. Also im using two brand new et-732 probes on the meat. I also checked those too and one was off about 3 degrees at boiling and the other was 2 off.

Later I might go back to my old pit probe, atm it is my Ambient temp probe, lol.
    Last edited by John Bostwick; 10-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Cookin' a 5lb butt today for dinner. Got started a little late because I was doing an Unknown Probe on the thermoworks probe in the grill and had to clean up and reset. Wrapped a Maverick and the thermoworks in a giant sausage made from rice and aluminum foil and put them on the grill at ~550F. Waited for them to heat up and and started the automatic deal, closed off the grill and went to bed. This morning I woke up with nice fresh coefficients. So confident am I that I am using the thermoworks probe as my Pit probe today.

http://home.capnbry.net:22675/luci

I'm running a bit high because I managed to melt my servo damper last night when searing steaks at 650F. The screw that I used to mount the damper got hot enough that the plastic deformed so it's no longer getting a good seal with the cardboard that holds it in place.

Can you post your new coefficients for the thermoworks probe?

TVWBB Fan
    Short ribs are on with version 2 of my prototype air burner. Very strange today when I plugged the box in, it said that pit temp was 0 degrees despite not having a probe plugged in. When I did get a probe in, the fan didn't go on, the PID's didn't move, nothing. Rebooted....nothing. Rebooted AVR....nothing... Re-flashed AVR....nothing. Changed the set-point on the grill from 225 to 350 and everything magically came to life. Changed it back to 225, everything seems to be hunky dory.

Also trying a new charcoal burning method. The rock in the center of the grill with the coals "fused" around just didn't seem to be helping things so I took it out. I filled up the bowl with lump leaving room in the middle for some lit coals from a chimney. Things are going a LOT smoother now and the HM hasn't had to do almost any work yet. I guess I should have learned to use the WSM first, then applied the tech.

It is currently a little hot, but I am okay with that...

Edit: About to pull the plug, but here was the day. Ribs were great.

Last edited by Phillip P; 10-20-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P View Post
    Short ribs are on with version 2 of my prototype air burner. Very strange today when I plugged the box in, it said that pit temp was 0 degrees despite not having a probe plugged in. When I did get a probe in, the fan didn't go on, the PID's didn't move, nothing. Rebooted....nothing. Rebooted AVR....nothing... Re-flashed AVR....nothing. Changed the set-point on the grill from 225 to 350 and everything magically came to life
    You were in manual mode for some reason. When in manual mode, the device shows a temperature no matter what. The web UI still shows the automatic setpoint because there's nothing sent from HeaterMeter to indicate it is in manual mode. The only way to tell is if you look at the LCD where the output percentage is, it has ^ ^ around it instead of [ ]. Setting a setpoint takes it back to automatic mode.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    You were in manual mode for some reason. When in manual mode, the device shows a temperature no matter what. The web UI still shows the automatic setpoint because there's nothing sent from HeaterMeter to indicate it is in manual mode. The only way to tell is if you look at the LCD where the output percentage is, it has ^ ^ around it instead of [ ]. Setting a setpoint takes it back to automatic mode.
    Good to know. It baffles me as to how I got into manual mode since my button has been absent since the debacle a couple of weeks ago. New part is on order along with a couple more HM boards from OSH that haven't shown up. They seem to be having issues. Anyways, onwards and upwards.

My HeaterMeter was in manual mode when I started it yesterday too, but I've been doing a lot of pokery to do the unknown probe stuff so it might not just be you.

Thermoworks Coefficients:
    6.6854301e-04,2.2230691e-04,9.9719788e-08

Only correlated down to 25C because this is Florida, so we're lucky to even be that low.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 10-20-2013 at 12:32 PM.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    My HeaterMeter was in manual mode when I started it yesterday too, but I've been doing a lot of pokery to do the unknown probe stuff so it might not just be you.

Thermoworks Coefficients:
    6.6854301e-04,2.2230691e-04,9.9719788e-08

Only correlated down to 25C because this is Florida, so we're lucky to even be that low.
    So the Thermoworks probe is all dialed in and working accurately now? Exactly what model is it?

I left some Maverick probes out the other day and it rained, now they are flakey, so I guess it's time to order some more probes. I think I will give a Thermoworks probe a try if you've got it dialed in at this point.

Thanks again for all the work you do to make the HM project available to us.....
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 10-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    So the Thermoworks probe is all dialed in and working accurately now? Exactly what model is it?
    Errr I'm not 100% sure. All I can say is that they should read within a reasonable amount of error from a Maverick probe using the the constants I calculated earlier this week. I had an analog thermometer stuck in through the top of the egg and it read within 5 degrees of what the Thermoworks probe said, but who knows which is accurate?

It is model TX-1001X-OP.

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast