Mustard on BBR

Tim M in FL

So I am in the process of perfecting my baby back ribs and was looking into rubbing w/ mustard and then my rib rub... What purpose does the mustard serve other than something for the rub to adhere too?

What kind of taste difference or texture difference to expect after done?

No difference in taste/texture assuming your using a basic yellow (Frenches) mustard. I've been painting my ribs w/ mustard for a long time with no problems what so ever. Probably the one benefit is if you like a lot of rub on your ribs this is the best way to accomplish that.

well.... I've been doing what I've been doing for years beyond years and that is simply squeezing lime juice (one half of a lime on each side) then applying my rub and workin it in. Doing that to room temp ribs an lettin em sit for another hour at room temps before tossin em on the the smoker. Lemon juice works well also... whatever you like is good, whatever works . Everyone has a different mojo
icon_biggrin.gif

My daddy always said, "If you like what you cook, ****(dang) those that don't".
wsmsmile8gm.gif
so there.

You might try applying a little worcestershire sauce to both sides, just enough to get the slabs slick, then apply rub. Not as messy as mustard, the rub will stick and the sauce has a little flavor.

So I take it the mustard is simply used for helping the rub to stick to the ribs?

Wouldn't the lime and lemon juice accelerate the cooking process due to the acidic levels?

Back