Entered my first Competition..

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
Don't know why, I guess I love stress and food... Good Smoked Food...

I am using a 22.5" WSM and will be doing Chicken and Ribs... I don't exatly know all the guidelines to the KSBS rules, but I hope to not break any all to pieces..

My goal is to either do leg quarters on the bottom and Ribs on the top.. But somehow have them finish an hour apart... Is this possible or should I stick with just RIBS...

Start the ribs on top. When the bark sets, they shouldn't drip on chicken below and might even have them in foil by the time you need to put the chicken on.

I was thinking with the heat difference in racks, and should only take 3 hours, I will be using the 3.2.1 method on the ribs... thanks

Depending on temperature, 3-2-1 may be too long. At 275 2 hours unfoiled, 1 1/2 foiled, then start checking tenderness every 15 minutes is what we do for comp ribs. When tender, sauce and put back on at little or no heat to set the sauce for about 15 minutes.

Can't help with the timing of the chicken as we only do thighs for competition.

You might want to try the marinating at home first. That is pretty long to marinate. Chicken and skin can get rubbery if you marinate too long. Not familiar with that exact recipe so can't say for sure. I tried just regular italian dressing overnight and it was rubbery. I brine with Oakridge Chicken Brine, and at full strength, only 1 1/2 hours, but it may be stronger.

Well maybe I can brine when I get there at 7 and I should be ready to put it on the smoker at 12.. Thanks for the advice. I was reading the Harry Soo write up and found some great info that as well.. I plan on a 3 hr smoke 1.5 hr foil and then sauce/spray every 20 minutes... I have done and had good luck with that.. Trying a new rub, smokey spicey and smells GREAT..

Matthew,

Is this competition a sanctioned KCBS contest ?
Reason for asking ... if KCBS sanctioned, you are limited to what you can do to your meats prior to inspection.

Bob

My suggestion, if time allows for it ahead of the competition, do a practice run.
And definitely don't brine prior to meat inspection if it's a KCBS sanctioned event, no-one wants a DQ.

Most importantly:GOOD LUCK, and have some fun! Welcome to the world of competitive BBQ!

I think they said you can brine the chicken overnight.. Ribs, they hand out at the morning meeting.. I am assuming the ribs will be inspected before handouts.

Here is the instruction..
rib.jpg

Thanks Matthew.

Looks like your plan is good to go.
While this is not a KCBS sanctioned event, "Judges will be KCBS trained"... probably having them listen to the KCBS DVD.

Wishing you Excellence in BBQ and the Very Best at this contest ! Beyond all, Enjoy and have Fun at the contest !

Bob

Trained you are!! DVD you buy? Study you must.... Sorry... I plan on a full training/testing/experiment/backwards timing session this next weekend...

Quick Question... I was told the hand out of the ribs are 7:30 and final turn in time is 4:00 Question.. I figure it will take 4.5 hrs to cook these ribs. What would be a better way to season, rub or marinade then a rub? I am looking about 3 hrs to prepare...

Figure about 30 minutes to prep the ribs. Apply rub about an hour before going on cooker, then your cooking time. Give yourself sufficient time, depending on the temp you cook at. 275 is a good temp for ribs.

Back