Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Steve Aguilar for winning Throwdown #15: Pork Spareribs!

One of the privileges of winning is getting to choose the next throwdown ingredient. Steve is from California, and he's chosen his favorite meat, a cut of beef that is near and dear to our hearts here on the West Coast...tri-tip!

As an incentive to participate, the winner of this throwdown will receive a one year subscription to Cook's Illustrated magazine. That's six bimonthly issues, a $24.95 value.

We'll run this throwdown through Sunday, October 20 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Good luck!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

Well, guess I'll sit this one out. May be a favorite your way, but I've never seen one in a store in my part of Florida.....................d

Last edited:
Ask a butcher to order you some. You won't regret it!

Might do that, however, I asked one of them one day, and he said we don't carry it and never will. Upon looking up tri-tip on the net, I find that the local grocer, who's butcher said that to me, has a recipe for the dish on it's site.:confused: Think I will print it out and shove it in his face and see what the response will be:eek:.......................d

Might do that, however, I asked one of them one day, and he said we don't carry it and never will. Upon looking up tri-tip on the net, I find that the local grocer, who's butcher said that to me, has a recipe for the dish on it's site.:confused: Think I will print it out and shove it in his face and see what the response will be:eek:.......................d

Let us know what his reaction s when you show them the recipe....

Let us know what his reaction s when you show them the recipe....

I was in a different store today, by chance, and asked the butcher as he was putting out some meat, so I stopped and asked him.
"you guys carry tri-tips?"
Yea, we have those.......sometimes.
"have any now"........
No.........
"when might you have some?"..........
don't know.........
"Can't you cut me one?".........
no, they just come in a package..........
"Oh, some just have to everyday, huh?".............
yea, best I can do for you..........
"can you order them?"
Nope, I have no control over what comes in.
"well, you know what, your web site has them listed as well as several recipes on how to cook them?
Really, well, don't have any today.
"well, thanks.

So, I go across the street to a "Fresh Market", high-end expensive store
"hi", to man behind the meat counter.
Yea, can I help you?
Yea, do you carry Tri-tips?
No, oh, man, you gotta be from the midwest or something wanting one of those.
No, but I hear they are big out in Ca.
Yea, I love those things. Used to work for Amgen, it's a bio-tech company, .......
Yea, I know who Amgen is.....I own stock in it.....
Oh, really. Well,anyway I worked for them out in Colorado and we did tri tips all the time. Their great.
That's nice, but you don't have huh?
Nope, never had 'em here.......
Know where I could find one?
Sure, Colorado
Oh, well that helps..............

So Tony, that's my story.......................................d

I was in a different store today, by chance, and asked the butcher as he was putting out some meat, so I stopped and asked him.
"have any now"........
No.........
don't know.........
"can you order them?"
"well, you know what, your web site has them listed as well as several recipes on how to cook them?
"well, thanks.

Yea, can I help you?
Yea, I love those things. Used to work for Amgen, it's a bio-tech company, .......
Oh, really. Well,anyway I worked for them out in Colorado and we did tri tips all the time. Their great.
Sure, Colorado

That's not right....there has to be something in Florida.

Well, guess I'll sit this one out. May be a favorite your way, but I've never seen one in a store in my part of Florida.....................d

Costco or Sam's perhaps? I'm going to be a late entry for mine. I'll probably end up doing it on the very last day. I have a couple of comps on the weekends prior to the 20th and it's going to be tough to get a non-KCBS practice cook in, but I chose the protein so I have to at least participate. For those of you out there that have not tried tri-tip, you're going to love it! It is such a wonderful tasting cut...by far my favorite.

Costco or Sam's perhaps? I'm going to be a late entry for mine. I'll probably end up doing it on the very last day. I have a couple of comps on the weekends prior to the 20th and it's going to be tough to get a non-KCBS practice cook in, but I chose the protein so I have to at least participate. For those of you out there that have not tried tri-tip, you're going to love it! It is such a wonderful tasting cut...by far my favorite.

No to Sam's, no to walmart, no to windixie,, no to fresh market, and Publix might have one but who knows, and that's it for chains. No independents left anymore. Don't have a costco close by, and certainly not driving all over this state for a piece of beef..................Might try a butcher shop, don't much care for the one I've visited before and see, but they always charge 2-3x the normal price. Anyway, we shall see and enough of this ..........................d

Perhaps you can find it under the name, bottom sirloin roast. A lot of the times it is cut into bottom round sirloin steaks and not sold whole.

"have any now"........
No.........
don't know.........
"can you order them?"
"well, thanks.

Yea, can I help you?
Sure, Colorado

Hey! I'm in Colorado! sorry d don't know how that helps you. Never done a tri-tip, guess I've got to TRI one now...eh! Maybe this time I what till the last min.

They are all over the place here in Idaho. Very cheap for the quality if beef IMO. I wonder if you can order them online? Interesting quotes from the butcher conversation. You would think they could just got cut you one if they really wanted to. Maybe they just didn't want to or maybe they just didn't know how. Interesting to see how different things are in different parts of the country. I'm looking forward to this challenge. I still haven't fired up my new wsm but now sure if I want to fire up that big thing for a tri tip. The kettles do a fabulous job with them.

Trader Joes in Florida:

Trader Joe's Tallahassee (763)
Opening October 11th!
3425 Thomasville Rd
Tallahassee, FL 32309
850-894-2538

Trader Joe's Gainesville (764)
3724 SW Archer RdGainesville, FL 32608
352-378-9321

Trader Joe's Sarasota (761)
4101 S Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34231
941-922-5727

Trader Joe's Naples (762)
10600 Tamiami Trail N
Naples, FL 34108
239-596-5631

Trader Joe's Pinecrest (770)
Opening October 18th!

9205 S Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33156 ‎
305-661-1432

Trader Joes in Florida:

Trader Joe's Tallahassee (763)
Opening October 11th!
3425 Thomasville Rd
Tallahassee, FL 32309
850-894-2538

Trader Joe's Gainesville (764)
3724 SW Archer RdGainesville, FL 32608
352-378-9321

Trader Joe's Sarasota (761)
4101 S Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34231
941-922-5727

Trader Joe's Naples (762)
10600 Tamiami Trail N
Naples, FL 34108
239-596-5631

Trader Joe's Pinecrest (770)
Opening October 18th!

9205 S Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33156 ‎
305-661-1432

and the closest one to my house is three hours, ain't gonna happen..........................d

Back