Apple Crisp

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
A couple of folks asked for the apple crisp recipe I posted. Here it is (FYI it was printed on the bag they gave us at the orchard we went apply picking at):

4 cups sliced apples
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter (softened)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg

Put apples in greased pan. Mix other ingredients then sprinkle over the apples. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until brown and apples are tender.

Dumb question, do i need flour? I dont feel like going to the store - i have everything else, this sounds yummy:)

I think it needs some kind of flour to hold the crisp together, but I would google some recipes to be sure. There are a lot of different variations out there and I don't really know what I'm talking about. Also you do not necessarily need to use regular flour. My wife has celiac disease and can't have any gluten so we have used other kinds of flour (non-wheat) to substitute and it comes out fine. I think it just helps form little crispy sugar balls...if you have some bisquick or pancake flour in house that would probably work fine.

Also, I know when my wife makes it she does not melt the butter in the dry mix, but breaks it up by hand so there are still small chunks of butter coated in the dry mix.

Good luck!

Back