Couple of questions

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm making a visit to Nashville in early November. Anybody know of a good store to maybe look into buying some BBQ supplies (charcoal, rubs, etc) that I may otherwise not find living in Michigan? Will likely be staying downtown, but should have access to a car for short drives.

Part deux of my question-- anybody know if TSA and/or airlines will allow you to put charcoal in your checked baggage? :cool:

I'd just look for some different rubs and sauces when I was there. Don't think there is a charcoal or briquette invented that I would try and lug on a plane.

Charcoal is not considered a dangerous good by air which are the regulations for the airlines. Every airline should have a list on their website of what you can not bring.

But I am with Bob, I wouldn't lug around charcoal.

I poked around the TSA website a bit, and it says "cooking fuels" are prohibited, both carry-on and checked. Think that rules out charcoal.

Wasn't really worried about lugging it around-- this is just a short weekend trip for me, so most of my baggage would just be carry-on. I'll be flying Southwest, so I'd get a free checked bag anyway, so were I actually allowed to check charcoal, it wouldn't have been any sort of hindrance or extra cost to me.

Oh well-- eager to see what kinds of sauces and rubs I might find down there!

Good luck getting a bunch of bottles of BBQ sauce in a carry-on as well.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, you're taking an empty checked bag to bring back goodies, right?

You are correct on "cooking fuels". This would fall into that category. Charcoal is prohibited onboard the entire aircraft, this includes the checked baggage in the cargo compartment underneath the aircraft. Even if it was up to the crew I would not allow charcoal onto my plane if I was alerted to it, no pilot in the industry would. To JSMcdowell's comment, I don't think FedEx or UPS would allow you to ship by air but maybe by ground. This question reminds me of Valujet flight 592. This flight had O2 generators that were not properly disabled and started working as designed. The chemical reaction used to produce O2 creates a lot of heat that set surrounding baggage of fire. Unfortunately, there was sufficient O2 supplied to the fire by the generators. There wasn't much the crew could do to extinguish the fire and could not get the aircraft on the ground quick enough. The DC-9 crashed outside of Miami in the everglades, no survivors.

Part deux of my question-- anybody know if TSA and/or airlines will allow you to put charcoal in your checked baggage? :cool:

I can answer question #2 for you. The answer is YES, but do not bring on any of match light charcoal. As always, anything in your bag is suspicious or the airline defines as hazardous, is subject to being not allowed on the aircraft. But, in any case, just ask TSA when you get there.

I poked around the TSA website a bit, and it says "cooking fuels" are prohibited, both carry-on and checked. Think that rules out charcoal.

Wasn't really worried about lugging it around-- this is just a short weekend trip for me, so most of my baggage would just be carry-on. I'll be flying Southwest, so I'd get a free checked bag anyway, so were I actually allowed to check charcoal, it wouldn't have been any sort of hindrance or extra cost to me.

Oh well-- eager to see what kinds of sauces and rubs I might find down there!

Passing on charcoal is a wise move. No sense in putting yourself through the hassle with TSA, etc. Besides you can always order charcoal through places like HD, Lowes, Do It Best, etc. and have it shipped to one of their stores (assuming you live close to one) for free.

Anyway, you should be able to find all sorts of interesting sauces, marinades, rubs, etc. down there.

Back