Bulgogi Style Marinade/Inject on Chuck?

Gene_N

TVWBB Fan
A former co-worker suggested I try making Korean bulgogi. I've marinaded and grilled many meats before but now I'm wondering if anyone has tried this smoking a chuck roll or roast?

My plan is to create the marinade then marinade overnight, add more via injecting then cook L&S to fork tender with my std cherry/apple mix.

I appreciate any input. :)

Korean BBQ marinade is sold premixed in Asain food stores as it quit popular, It is also sold in some Wal-Marts in the Asian area. Unless you have all of these items in your pantry it can get a little expensive to purchase where the Bulgogi BBQ sauce is not that expensive per bottle, we buy it and use it all the time, you can also get Korean style ribs at Sams Club. As far as injecting and marinade for a smoke I have never tried that yet.

This is one of the types of permade sauce you can buy; http://www.worldmarket.com/product/korean+bulgogi+bbq+sauce.

In my limited experience, although the flavor was good the meat was fairly tough. But then one doesn't see many cows in Korea :eek:
What I've eaten was cut into strips, similar to frajita meat

My recent thread smoking chuck roasts got me thinking. I've eaten traditionally prepared bulgogi several times. The beef (ribeye, sirloin) is sliced thinly, marinaded then grilled. There are several Korean grocery stores in NVa so getting the pre-made marinade or the ingredients to make it from scratch is not a problem.

The goal is to change the flavor up. I can tell you the Henley rub smoked with apple/cherry mix and lightly coated with Sweet Baby Rays sauce on pulled pork, chicken, KC burnt ends or shredded beef is a hit in the house (single dad, 3 kids). Serving sirloin/ribeye is cost prohibitive for me hence the reason I want to try the shredded beef approach with chuck. I will plan this out and try it out in 2 weeks.

I'm a big fan of mixing American BBQ techniques with flavors from overseas. I made fantastic pulled pork using a Tandoori-style marinade followed by normal smoking, then more Indian spices sprinkled on at the end.

Give it a shot, it'll probably turn out great!

Sounds like not a good cut of meat or long enough marinade, Koreans use a Korean pear in the marnida and if you marinade it to long that pear will break down the meat quite far.( there is a good U tube segment on this "Korean BBQ" to find it there are several) Going to the store and buying the items needed to make the sauce if you use them all the time it would worth it ,if not not then nuff said, that is why I brought up the ready made version.
Bulgolgi is thin sliced beef mostly of a cheaper cut as the marinade makes it tender if done correctly, The same marniade is used for Kalbe there short ribs. To thin is not good as it tuff when cooking, to this makes it chewy. I like it about 1/8 to 3/16's thick when i do it,and about 1 to 11/2 inches wide so it can be cooked in a pan or on the grill,indirect as to not dry out. Most often better in a CS pan.
I would think if a chuck was injected and bagged for a marnide it should pick up good flavor and tenderize it pretty well,would be a interesting cook.

If the chuck is cooked right tenderness won't be an problem with or without marinade. If you have a D/O after you slow cook it to 165 put in the D/O with some more marinade maybe 1/2 a cup or so. I'm gonna guess the flavor will be outstanding.

Back