BBQ Comp at MN Ren Fest

Shawn Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Is anyone here competing at the BBQ competition at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival at the end of September? This will be my first competition so I was hoping to see from friendly faces there.

I actually chose to compete on Sunday since when I was there last year the few guys I got to talk with said it was the quieter day so I thought that might up my chances a little and make me feel less nervous. I will probably have my WSM, OTG and UDS with me. I am waiting for them to send me something saying my entry was accepted since I sent it in just last week.

Shawn, I talked to someone last week and she said they will be sending out packets to the entrants within a couple weeks.
I decided on doing Saturday since football season will have started by then.

Mike, try and stop on out. Would be cool to meet another local from the site!

T- how do you plan to get hot water? Are you just going to warm up water on a grill or bring out a burner or something? That was one of the things I have been trying to think of how to do. I have a small turkey fryer I might bring just to get warm water since they don't seem to provide that.

Shawn, I don't use water in the pan on my WSM.

I did use water for a contest last year and I just brought water in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and put it in the pan cold.
Problem with that is you're never sure if the contest location will have a place to dump the water after the comp, so then you have to pour it back into the 5 gallon bucket while still hot and hope it doesn't tip/spill on the way home.

Hoping to make it out there, what's your first name T? You can PM me too if you want to keep it on the down low.

If you don't have water with you how do you clean your equipment? Do you just take it all home dirty and clean it then? It is mostly my knives I am worried about because I am going to try to find disposable cutting boards to work on.

I would bring a few knives and just use one for each meat.
Also, lotsa paper towels, regular hand towels, and disinfecting wipes come in handy too.

T- how do you plan to get hot water? Are you just going to warm up water on a grill or bring out a burner or something? That was one of the things I have been trying to think of how to do. I have a small turkey fryer I might bring just to get warm water since they don't seem to provide that.
We use a 5 gal. igloo water cooler, fill it with hot water at home, and it will stay hot all weekend.

I like the water cooler idea. I have a smaller one I will have to bring. Just enough water to give everything a quick rinse and wipe. Thanks guys.

Last year, we heated up water in a pot over our deep fryer burner and poured it into a wash tub. I rinsed with water from a water jug. We had a travel trailer this year and the water heater and sink were super helpful.

Pretty sure the deadline for entry was Sept 1st. Just got my "packet" in the mail from them today...not real excited on how smooth this is gonna be. Have to transport your smokers/grills from parking lot to competition area. They suggest bringing a 2 wheel dolly to help transport your gear. They suggest setting up on Friday afternoon and leaving your smokers/cookers overnite.

Just seems like this is gonna be a huge PITA.

Yeah, I was not impressed with their instructions either. Did you notice that they gave three different times in the instructions as to when you were suppose to be setup by? Then it took the woman almost a week to email me about some questions I had then I had to email her again to find out where to send back the liability forms and such. What a disappointment. After doing this three years you would think they would have the hang of it.

Back