Once again a reminder on propane grill safety. Man killed when grill explodes.

Propane in general, not just the grill. Was lighting my weed burner to start the chimney at a comp last weekend and didn't realize I was squeezing the pistol grip (senior moment) when I stuck the lighter to it. About burned down a tree that was 4-5 feet away and brought the guys in the next site to their feet. A 4' long roaring flame. Was kinda funny after the fact.

My sympathy to this mans family. Besides charcoal, perhaps natural gas would be
a better alternative than propane.

When I was on the job as a young Patrolman I got dispatched to a fire and explosion in my town. The fellow was lying 20 feet from the Grill after it exploded. He had a several inch shard of steel that had penetrated him front to back right into his stomach. I sealed him up and held with pressure till the medics got there 20 minutes later. The deck area was smoldering and burning in spots and the wall had numerous rips right through it.
Made a definite impression on me.
Never forgot the neighbor lady yelling at me while I was frozen on the ground maintaining an airway and freezing the metal in place that the deck was burning why was I not doing anything about it.
I feel so bad for this Fellow, God rest his soul.
Oh, the fellow I had survived and bought me dinner several months later.

My heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends.

Let us all remember that while our passion for this hobby of ours brings us great joy,
there is a serious component that we need to bear in mind.

Sad day for his family and friends, gas grills should be outlawed period. Some gas grills you see in stores are dangerous just looking at them.

Sad day for his family and friends, gas grills should be outlawed period. Some gas grills you see in stores are dangerous just looking at them.

Yep! One, in a store, spoke to me, I bought it and took it home. Shame is me...:p

Just about everything is dangerous one way or another. Charcoal has killed a number of people (carbon monoxide). I am a retired insurance claims rep, and have handled a number of "accidents" when pure ignorance caused serious fires and damage. Gasoline is one of the most dangerous things we handle. Nearly everyone of us has a can of gas in their garage for the mower. A gallon of gasoline has more explosive value than a stick of dynamite (and is MUCH easier ignited).

Read and FOLLOW the directions and you will avoid many accidents. Educate yourself. Most of all, PAY ATTENTION!

FWIW
Dale53

A church here in Greenville, NC had an explosion a year ago. An individual was cooking on a small burner inside the recreation room. The burner was fed by a small propane canister which exploded. Four or five people were hurt but no fatalities. They still do not know what caused the failure of the cylinder. Serious fire damage to the facility.

We all need to be vigilant.... all the time.

Ray

Robert,I hear you! When I was an army cook,in the field we cooked on gasoline stoves. I saw several go up in flames because they didn't follow basic safety rules. So lets be careful out there.

23259877_BG3.jpg

It wasn't your everyday grill.

I would just like to throw my 2 cents in here and maybe just maybe I can prevent an accident with either myself or someone else. I have a platinum performer the kind that has the propane starter. I also have a kettlepizza attachment that I like to use and thus I need to get the pit really hot. I did not feel comfortable using my performer and getting the pit extremely hot by using hardwood. I made the decision that I was either going to have to take the small propane tank off or get a different grill. I made the decision to buy an old 3 legger off of CL just for the purpose of using the kettlepizza. I would caution anyone to be extra safe and not attempt to get your performers really hot when the propane tank is attached. Maybe this is just common knowledge and everyone is taking the tank off, I sure hope so, it's just not worth the risk.

Back