Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Servo / Damper pictures

TVWBB Member

Servo / Damper pictures

Since Bryan upgraded v9 to include more servo control functions (Thanks Bryan!!) I was hoping people would post pictures in this thread of how they are implementing a servo into their setup.
    I did a search for servo & damper but only found a few pictures of how they implemented the servo (see below)
    By posting a picture of your setup this would give others the ability to use or modify what others have done. I believe this would be a huge benefit to others.

Thanks in advance for posting a picture of your servo setup.

I've includes some pictures of what I found

Ralph in this thread

D Pert in this thread

D Pert in this thread

John

22.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG

TVWBB Diamond Member
    This is the rig I've been running lately....

I needed a valve badly before the HM code was changed to support running the servo damper and blower at the same time, hence the little ping pong valve I created... Now that I can run the servo with the fan I've been doing things that way instead. One great thing about it is (thanks to Bryan's code) you can choose to run the fan only when the damper need be opened 100%, this gives you fast stoking of the fire and then lets the natural flow of the servo damper take over (which is preferable in Kamado style grills that hold heat really well). OR, you can set the HM to use the fan in the traditional manner blowing at a full range of speeds to control the fire and set the servo damper to operate in fully open/closed mode. In this second scenario the servo takes the place of the ping pong valve or other flap valve you would have on your blower. OR, you can let BOTH the servo and fan to work over the full range of action!

Bottom line is if you have the servo damper and the fan you can cover a huge range of scenarios which will help you control a wide variety of pits and use it in whatever manner works best with your grill. I use the blower only method with my thin walled traditional smoker cause it needs lots of air flow to maintain temperature, I use the damper method with fan assist (fan at 100% only) on my FauxMado grill generally, but switch over to the fan mode with open/close servo damper (and a larger blower) when I do high heat Pizza cooks. So I use my HM in three different modes currently and really love the flexibility having the servo and the blower allows...

As for building one, the servo's are cheap from Amazon or elsewhere, I used the 1.5" PVC coupler as the base for mine, and printed the rest of the (color) parts on my 3D printer... I'm sure you could brainstorm some off the shelf stuff you could use to make the whole thing though...

So far the only issue I have run into with my unit is the 3/4" copper tube I use on the grill adapter is a bit to small to support proper air flow for high heat pizza cooks (even with a very large blower). So I am going to add a second tube to double the volume of air I can deliver to the grill and I should be golden.... If not for the pizza cooks I would be set already....

TVWBB Fan
    Ralph,

You selling any of the servo parts or blower mount?
    Really like the setup

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ward View Post
    Ralph,

You selling any of the servo parts or blower mount?
    Really like the setup
    No, I really don't have any plans to sell any of the stuff I make, I just do it for my own enjoyment...

I'm planning on putting together my servo damper this week. I should be receiving the servo today and the rest of the parts will be from what I have at home already ie: left over PVC tubing from my central vac install and I'll be making the flapper from the plastic cover found on a spool of blank CDs.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    This is not a servo damper pic, per say.... but I'm posting it here because this is my new way to connect my servo damper and fan to the HM.

Since the HM board lacks a proper header for the servo I've had a connector dangling out of the case to connect the servo, I never much cared for this and over time the connector has loosened and likes to disconnect. I thought a single connector for the servo and fan would be the way to go so I rigged up a CAT5 connector with which I can connect both the servo damper and fan through one wire.

Now I just plug a CAT5 cable in that is wired to the fan and servo and it's all done with one simple wire. The connector will also accept a regular telephone cable that could be wired to a fan for fan only operation.

I used my kicked around blue HM case to experiment, I just cut out the opening with a hack saw blade (not in the saw), then super glued some plastic inside to make the connector latch into place, works great! You wouldn't think there would be room for more stuff in the case but I guess there is.... I left the original connectors for the fan and servo in place so I have the option to use either/or...

I've been wanting this for a while, here it is, now I'm happy.... lol
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 08-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    This is not a servo damper pic, per say.... but I'm posting it here because this is my new way to connect my servo damper and fan to the HM.

Since the HM board lacks a proper header for the servo I've had a connector dangling out of the case to connect the servo, I never much cared for this and over time the connector has loosened and likes to disconnect. I thought a single connector for the servo and fan would be the way to go so I rigged up a CAT5 connector with which I can connect both the servo damper and fan through one wire.

Now I just plug a CAT5 cable in that is wired to the fan and servo and it's all done with one simple wire. The connector will also accept a regular telephone cable that could be wired to a fan for fan only operation.

I used my kicked around blue HM case to experiment, I just cut out the opening with a hack saw blade (not in the saw), then super glued some of the plastic I removed inside to make the connector latch into place, works great! You wouldn't think there would be room for more stuff in the case but I guess there is.... I left the original connectors for the fan and servo in place so I have the option to use either/or...

I've been wanting this for a while, here it is, now I'm happy.... lol
    Ralph,
    I was considering do the same type of arrangement with at cat5 cable. I was considering also seeing if there were enough wires to also include the probes in the cat5 cable as well. I have to not counted yet to see if there is enough. Thinking now about it I believe the following would be needed:
    2 - fan
    3 - servo
    =

8 wires in a cat5 only leaves 3. If the ground can be shared for 2 probes then it would work. (as long as I counted correctly)
    Last edited by John Case; 08-21-2013 at 08:16 AM.

22.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Yeah the servo's ground can also be used for all the probe grounds, meaning you can use the remaining 3 wires for 3 probes.

Why not break it out into 2 separate jacks, 1 for probes and 1 for fans + servos. This would probably be less clutter since the probes are usually near the top of the cooker and the fans and servos are near the bottom.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Why not break it up into 6 separate jacks?

I think the point is to use one extension cable for everything.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast