More about WSM silicone grommets for 2014

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My sources tell me this about the new grommet feature in 14.5", 18.5", and 22.5" WSMs for 2014.

• Made of high-temp silicone.
  • Multiple probes can be inserted through the slot.
  • A stick thermometer can be inserted through the hole to measure temperature at grate level.

Do the engineers at Weber have any original thoughts? Gosh, who knows, maybe next they will consider a way to raise and lower the grates on the kettles to allow for the coals to be at different levels to get a good sear without having to buy new grates. I actually regret buying a kettle when I should have stuck with a model, like my old char-broil that had adjustable levels, so much better in so many ways........................d

Last edited:
Should I wait with buying a WSM until next year because of this?
Good question, since there is a post of one person getting the model with the grommet, I'd say it is more a matter of buying from a high volume dealer. I'm in the same boat and would love to get a UPC or something so I can tell for sure the one I buy soon is the 2014 model.

I'm wondering if they will switch it out for me if I do not receive one with the new additions. I might give it a try, since these are dated prior to my ordering of their product.

I just ordered my 18.5 WSM from Amazon tonight. I am really hoping mine comes with the grommet. I had actually contacted Weber a couple days ago with that question (how to make sure I get the newer version) and was told, "Information on new models aren't released until late October or early November." This made me thing that they won't be selling any updated models till then. Here's hoping that that's not the case. I will keep everyone posted when it arrives.

I just ordered my 18.5 WSM from Amazon tonight. I am really hoping mine comes with the grommet. I had actually contacted Weber a couple days ago with that question (how to make sure I get the newer version) and was told, "Information on new models aren't released until late October or early November." This made me thing that they won't be selling any updated models till then. Here's hoping that that's not the case. I will keep everyone posted when it arrives.

I'm in the same boat, as I just ordered mine. I would think they would be open to switching it out, as they can use the body they sent us as replacements for others in the future. I emailed them and mentioned that it was posted before I purchased mine, so I would hope they would be helpful!

I wonder what that means for those of us who just ordered. I want to get my hands on the new one!

I also just called Weber, and they stated that if I receive a model without the grommet, they will send me one with the grommet since that should be the current model. A++ customer service right there!

Last edited:
Spoke to Weber Customer Service

I ordered and received my smoker 2 weeks ago and after smoking a few slabs of ribs and preparing to modify my grill for the insertion of temperature probes I noticed the thread posted on the Virtual Weber Bullet homepage and was disappointed that I did not wait. That having been said, I have been on the phone with a customer service representative from Weber and after explaining my situation and the desire to install a grommet in my weber smoker was told by Weber customer service that they could not knowingly supply me with the grommet if my intention was to retrofit it into a grill that does not have the hole for it.

Since I already used my smoker, and don't feel like trying to switch it out for a newer model, I am now working on acquiring the grommet using Weber's part number (85037 - Grommet, gray, SMC) as it is listed for all three of their new 2014 smokers (14", 18.5", 22.5"). I hope to be able to acquire it in the coming week. Weber customer service did say the part was available, just not how to go about ordering it.

Also of note is that the grommet is listed both individually and as part of the hardware package on the new schematics on the Weber website (these are for the 18.5" WSM):
83196 - Hardware SMC with grommet '14
85037 - Grommet, gray, SMC

I am planning on using a step drill bit to make the hole, as a punch of that size would most likely indent the surrounding metal due to the curvature of the center section.

I could see them not wanting to have you add it to yours, as I have heard it voids the warranty. I was told that the ones with the grommets are being sent out for any new warranty replacements, which is a nice upgrade.

While Weber Customer Service told me they are already out, two seperate dealers told me their Weber reps told them Oct 1st.

Here's a couple of pics I just took.

IMG_20130819_182001_175_zpse3279240.jpg

IMG_20130819_182138_399_zps360b6d5e.jpg

Back