Found this at the dump yesterday!

Somebody had a really hot fire in this kettle the wood handles got a little burnt and the inside of the kettle has a layer of scorched on layer of lava that I'm having a hard time getting off the kettle. Any ideas would be very APPRECIATED!

Great find Phil, the "O" stamped on the top vents means that it was build in 1992, it's 21 years old, buy it a beer!

Great find. I have had best results with tough clean up using oven cleaner along with a plastic putty knife and some of those cheapo soap pads from the Dollar Store. You need to really watch the run off because it will mess up the aluminum if it comes in contact with it.

Wow. Can't imagine why someone would trash a perfectly good grill. She looks like she's got LOT's of good cooks left in her.

For the gunk inside, I've found that ZEP Heavy Duty Oven/Grill cleaner works pretty good. Available at Lowe's or HD. May have to go over it a couple of times but it won't affect the surface. Spray it on, let it sit for an hour or two, then rinse. Just don't do it in your yard. Does really bad things to the grass.

Russ

America the throwaway society. Soak the lava with some of Myron Mixon's favorite lighter fluid.
Let it soak in for 15 or 20 minutes. Then soak it again, let it sit for 5 minutes and light the lava
and stand back. It burns it off, kind of fun to watch too.

Use a single edge razor blade, it will scrape off and not harm the finish. I use this method all the time, it works great.

Back