Jerky...I finally got the jerky done

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
I saw another member post their Jerky cook on here and it inspired me....thank you!

Saturday I spent the whole day making Jerky, due to some problems with charcoal. Long story short I used Trader Joes to do the snake method and it really didn't work out for me, but that whole story is on another post...titled problems with snake method. I finally emptied out the whole ring and used KFB and it performed perfectly. However, before I get too down on TJ I will state that I did use TJ on my first overnight cook and I would use it again, just not on the snake method when I'm trying to get a low temp.

Back to the Jerky, I purchased two pounds of thinly cut round steak and I cut it into strips. I have read two different ways of doing this, one to cut with the grain and the other to cut against the grain. So I cut half with the grain and half against the grain to see if it will make a difference. Here is a picture of the meat all cut up.
IMAG0500_zpsc49a4f88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For the marinade I used equal parts worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion powder, honey, black pepper, red pepper flakes and some rub that I had made up weeks ago.
IMAG0499_zpsc5fa6175.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The meat was in the marinade for 36 hours and I got it to about room temp prior to putting it on the fire. Here is a picture of the bottom rack ready to go on.
IMAG0502_zpsbbc789d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I love pepper!
IMAG0503_zps1585ec6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The plan was to use the snake method using both mesquite and hickory wood and smoke the jerky at 150 for 7 hours. Well it took me almost 10 hours to smoke the jerky for 7 hours, but in the end I got it done and learned something at the same time.

It was dark outside as I pulled the jerky off the wsm but here are some plated pictures.
IMAG0530_zps42c6eeb6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0531_zpse43dd6b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The jerky had a really great taste and I would rate it a 7 out of 10 but I will take some to work to share with the guys. I will defiantly give this another shot in the future. Oh, while the jerky was smoking, I set this up.
IMAG0515_zps6d069f48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Old school meets new school, time to try the pie again, but that is another post, but I will say that it was our best pie to date.

Looks good. I love jerky but the price in store is expensive, I keep saying I'm going to try to make it but never have.

Fine looking jerky James!
I use to make it all the time, but it's been a few years now.
I've found that it doesn't need a lot of smoke, and the key is taking it off at the right time.

Fine looking jerky James!
I use to make it all the time, but it's been a few years now.
I've found that it doesn't need a lot of smoke, and the key is taking it off at the right time.

Thanks Bob, you are correct it needs very little smoke, but my office went through it like crazy so I must have gotten the smoke correct. So what would you say the right time is to take the jerky off?

Thanks Bob, you are correct it needs very little smoke, but my office went through it like crazy so I must have gotten the smoke correct. So what would you say the right time is to take the jerky off?
Best I can tell, yours looks just about right James.
Too dry and it snaps.
Bends and kind of splits open is what I shoot for.
I have smoked it, then finished drying in my cheap dehydrator too, much easier to control the temp and dryness..

Another tip is to thread the pieces on toothpicks or skewers, then dangle them between the grate grids.
You can get a lot more on that way.

Thank you, you're correct mine just bends and splits open it doesn't snap. I will try the toothpick method. This jerky was good and peppery separated the men from the boys, but not really that bad. I'm sure there are a 1,000 recipes for jerky and I intend to experiment.

Back