Weber must be listening and reading

Van Massey

Hey guys I am new here. I don't even think I have had time to introduce myself. I bought a 22.5 and had an issue with the middle section. Contacted Weber and today my new middle section arrived. Below is a grommet that was in the package of hardware. I looked for a few minutes and thought what in the world could this be. Well guess what, there is a hole to the right of the door opening that this grommet fits in for running probe wires through it. I had already decided to cut a slot but I don't have to now!!!!!! :):):):)

I am guessing this will be standard on the 2014 model as once they told me they were sending the new piece it was on backorder and shipped this week.

If this is old news please forgive me and if this is not in the correct place will a mod please move....

That's awesome !!!!
I wonder if a new door is ordered if it would be included in the kit going forward?

It is not part of the door assembly. It is a hole in the middle section of the body for clarification. Once I get it put together I will post pictures. Need to get stainless nuts ans bolts tomorrow.

Interesting. Is the hole located between the top and bottom grates? How many probe wires do you think you would be able to fit through it?

Is this a retrofit that replaces one of the existing bolts (used to hold the grate) or is there a dedicated hole in the new WSM just for this grommet?

Here a picture of my new middle section with the probe grommet installed. It does sit right between both grates. :):cool:

Ok, now on to look for some ones smoked meatloaf recipe. Any suggestions??

Just to placate you, here's my super-simple smoked meatloaf recipe for the WSM.

But what we REALLY want to talk about is that grommet. What's it made out of? It looks like gray silicone, and the probe(s) push through one or both of the holes and seals around the probe cable? If so, ingenious.

Does appear to be a silicone or some material that is very flexible. Was pretty easy to put in place. I cannot fine the right words to describe the groment but the way it goes in, it should not leak. Both places you see have a slit in them so they will both accept probes through them. There is plenty of room in the oval one for as many probes as a person would need to put through there and what wont fit there the small round one above you could get 2-3 through it one at a time.

I want that new probe grommet!!

I found this meatloaf recipe on another site (don't know if I'm allowed to specify the site name?). I've made it several times and its always turned out great. Only change I made to this recipe (by Bill Cannon), is to top the meatloaf with a mixture of catsup and LOTS of horseradish - instead of the BBQ sauce. That's the way my dad always tops his meatloaf, and I'm continuing that tradition....it's yummy!

I really like the suggestion that Chris's recipe had of using a perforated flat pan when smoking the meatloaf. Good tip!

Here is Bill's recipe:
----------------------

This is not your Moms ordinary Meat Loaf- Cooked in the pit and just plain delicious (you can also do it in the oven)

What you will need:
3 pounds of your favorite ground beef. (I used beef chuck)

1 medium onion, minced
1 medium bell pepper, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
6 eggs
1½ stacks of Ritz crackers
½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese (I used the parmesan and Romano cheese mixture)
1/3 cup of Texas BBQ Rub
¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce to top the loaf (I used Texas’ Own BBQ Sauce-Original)
¼ cup of liquid smoke if you are doing this in the oven
1 large foil loaf pan or pan approx 10x5x4

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients except bbq sauce. It is best to use your hands for this, as a spoon just does not work as well. If you are going to cook this in the oven add the liquid smoke to the mixture, if you are going to cook on the pit leave out the liquid smoke. Spread evenly in the foil pan.
Pit cooking – I like to cut about 6 slits in the side of the aluminum pan before I place the meat loaf on the pit. Cut them about half way up the sides of the pan. This will allow some smoke to enter the meat and will also allow for some of the meats juices to escape so the meat loaf is not as full of grease. Cook uncovered for about 2 hours at 225 degrees on the pit. Remove from the pit and pour the BBQ sauce on top of the meatloaf and return to the pit for about 30 more minutes. Cook to an internal temperature of 175 degrees. The meatloaf should be a bit firm.

Oven Cooking – Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and spread the BBQ sauce on the top of the meatloaf and then return to the oven for and additional 15 minutes.

It would be nice if we can source the grommet from Weber as well. Maybe next week if I have time I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.

Back