What does the ultimate charcoal travel kit contain?

Svein

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
I'm off to a cabin with some friends for a weekend of eating, drinking, fishing etc.

I know that there is a charcoal grill at the cabin, possibly with a lid, but it will be very basic. I have staged a (peaceful) food coup, and have sieged responsibility for the provisions. Menu is off course one question (will wait until I see the weather forecast), but it is just as important to ensure that the I can cook on the charcoal grill. I have figured out that I need a travel kit, and saw from Peter K thread http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?43910-Grilling-on-Vacation&highlight=Vacation that I’m not the only one with such an idea.

The question is then what does the ultimate charcoal travel kit contain?

One restriction, everything must fit in one standard Weber chimney starter

charcoal is a big one. how does that fit in a chimney ? ok,ok, i guess you should think of what you use during yer cooks at home.
lay them all out and then eliminate those that are really not needed.

Now this is a good question.
Assuming charcoal is separate
• Two pair of tongs. One for raw, one for cooked unless a quick wash in the middle is feasible
• Roll of wide aluminum foil
• Wire brush to clean off the grate (although a ball of wadded up foil will work in a pinch)
• Basting brush
• Stick lighter
• Your favorite fire lighting media (Weber cubes, Strike-a-fire, etc.)
• Metal spatula (optional for me but some folks swear by them)
• Dredge with coarse lid
• Bag or jar of your favorite general purpose rub
• At least two sharp kitchen knives in sheathes. I would go chef and paring
• Believe it or not a fork. Really handy for Jacarding in a pinch

Edited to add a small cutting board if at all possible

Russ

What Russ said. And papertowels! And some extra plastic/paper trash bags...Always handy!

I like to compartmentalize based on need.

I always bring a knife bag that has a sharpening steel, 8" chef's, a pairing, a santoku, a micro plane, a turner, corkscrew, thermometers, tongs, and a silicone basting brush.

My charcoal travel kit has tongs, a spatula, a fork, a grill brush, a wind resistant stick lighter, high temp cooking spray and welders gloves.

Good input :)

Charcoal is separate yes, and I agree with Peter, I like to compartmentlize too

Russ, I know everything is big in the states;) , but your chimney must be bigger than mine (or you are a much better packer than I am)

I would pack these a think:
Grillbrush
Tong
Spatula
Welding gloves
Oil
Lighting cubes
Stick lighter
A couple of Wood chuncks

And most of the other stuff on a separate list, maybe except the fork. Do you use it a lot. I've been thought that it should not be used on meat because it dries it were it is pieced.

Hmm.. Now you got me wondering. Would everything I listed fit into a chimney? That may have to be a Saturday project this weekend.

I sometimes use the fork more to help get a marinade further into the meat. I don't use it so much as to be considered a tenderizer. I've never had drying issues with doing it. At least not that I've noticed.

Russ

I have a large (but plastic, which helps keep the weight down) tool box that I carry around with me

The lift out tray is mostly small spice jars...
Salt & Pepper
garlic powder
montreal mix
cajun mix
several various Weber brand spice mixes. I don't buy these, but I go into the Weber store often to buy parts and I frequently get thrown a couple of these as a bonus.
brown sugar8
instant coffee
my personal pork rub (brown sugar, onion, garlic, paprika, etc....)
a couple of herb blends.
curry

Underneath the tray I also carry in there..
matches
a lighter
a few weber starter cubes.
a few sheets of newspaper
several pairs of tongs ( I bought 20 pair once for 99cents each)
spatula
chefs knife
boning knife
old kitchen towel
basting brush
grill grate brush
pump bottle of canola or veg oil

Darrel, you are defently playing in another league then me:)

Russ, the issue is if you use a fork to handle it when it is done as when you cut it too early an the meatjuices ends up on the plate. Shouldn't affect the meat when you do it as you describe

Darrel I like your style. I might add some sort of knife sharpener in there. I can sharpen some of the crappy condo-knives while I'm watching my smoke.

Back