PCI grate: which side up?

Bradley Bruns

TVWBB Fan
I just installed a new set of PCI (porcelain cast iron) grates for my Genesis Silver B. For those who have these: which side is up? On side "A" the food will sit on the thin peaks of the bars, and on side "B" the food will sit on much wider flats of the bars. Which side do you recommend and why?

Bradley
The design of the grill is that the thin rounded edge is upwards to give a balanced set of searing marks, the slope of the grill bars it to allow some of the juices and fat to "Boil off" giving you that wonderfull BBQ taste. Having said that some people prefer very wide sear marks, this in my opinion masks the flavour of the meat and gives a tougher outer surface, but that is just my opinion.

Regards

agreed rounded part up . That way the big flat side can catch more heat to keep the smaller area hot for searing..

I’m curious as to how many of the skinny side up crowd have actually tried the flat side up? Reason I ask is that this same discussion came up in another group I was in 4 or 5 years ago and they were almost all in favor of flat side up.
All I do on my silver B is steaks and we like them just past kicking so they don’t stay on the grill very long. I have tried the grills both ways (up & down) and my steaks don’t come out with the pretty grill marks with the skinny side up. I don’t do chicken on the gasser but I could see how that chicken with skin on might benefit form being grilled on the rounded side of the grills.

Hey bill
I'll be having my lecture in classroom 3 at 11am
icon_biggrin.gif

Now I don't have a Weber gasser, I have a Broil King. The grates sound similar, a triangle shape with a more sharp side, and a flat (almost concave) side.
I have always used the sharp side up.

Here is my theory:
Cast iron is going to get hot no matter which side is up so.....
The sharp side up allows the meat to put more downward pressure on the peaks of the grill, this downward pressure pushes the meat into the heat of the grill and makes supreme grill marks.

Thats how I see it...

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Bradley,

Most times it is curved side up for me, but on occasions when I grill smaller shrimp, I will turn the grates over and put the flat side up. IMO, whatever works best for you is okay.

Ray

Well since I just picked up a pair, I'll put in my "dollar-three-ninety-five", I went one each way. That way I can but baby potatoes on the grill and they won't fall though
icon_wink.gif

What is a good price for one of these? I just bought a 2002 Genesis Silver A yesterday off of CL. Today I was at Ace Hardware and I saw that the had the PCI grate for the Silver A. It was marked $69.99. That seemed high to me.

Wayne

Originally posted by Wayne Dimirsky:
What is a good price for one of these? I just bought a 2002 Genesis Silver A yesterday off of CL. Today I was at Ace Hardware and I saw that the had the PCI grate for the Silver A. It was marked $69.99. That seemed high to me.

Wayne

That's what I paid at the Home Depot.

I saw that Amazon.com has these grates for my grill for $39.99 but I don't know what shipping would be. These things are heavy.

Wayne

Back