Gas Q grill

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Not only am I into BBQ, but I am also into boating. Does anyone use a Q for their boat grill? Do you mount it to the boat or leave it in mounted on a table or other platform?

The nice thing about a q is it is fairly cool on the outside.The magma has 2 settings Burn/scorch and off.
All you need to mount your q is starboard or PVC trim boards, stainless screws and those grey conduit hangers.
Bolt the q to the board and figureout a rod mount setup..
Or get a Cdory or twinvee :)
also check out the cobb cooker .
I has a big following in AUS

Love the interwebs

343514d1373512517-i-finally-bought-grill-boat-what-does-everyone-cook-board-9.jpg

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.Before we had our camp we always grilled on our 24' pontoon boat in any quiet cove. Stonedam Island dock was one of our favorite spots. We had it down to a science however! My Magma Kettle grill was rail mounted and could easily be removed in seconds for storage. We had a dedicated set of cooking utensils that was always kept in the boat. Plastic knives, forks spoons, paper plates and napkins and other non perishable condiments such as salt and pepper were kept in a waterproof plastic container which also never left the boat except to be replenished. We would simply put our burgers, dogs and whatever in a large cooler with ice or ice packs and bring it with us. We always carried an extra 1 lb bottle of propane also in a waterproof plastic storage box. We carried heavy duty contractor bags for all trash. Cheap plastic trash bags would always leak, contractor bags are the only way to go! You must cook only where the water will remain calm. My kettle grill did not drip grease it was made to burn all drippings and it did. The grill would swing out over the water when cooking for safety reasons.

Last edited:
Those swing out things are really cool, I’ve not had one but, see the value.
I’ve always been a basket kind of guy for supplies, I seem to collect a fair number of them, excellent storage units. The contractor bag is smart!
One small thing I do with flatware and napkins is I use a couple of small plastic flowerpots placed in a longer rectangular one which will also hold plates. Good for the back yard but, maybe not so good “on board”.

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.Before we had our camp we always grilled on our 24' pontoon boat in any quiet cove. Stonedam Island dock was one of our favorite spots. We had it down to a science however! My Magma Kettle grill https://bestoutdooritems.com/coleman-roadtrip-grill-lxe-vs-lxx/ was rail mounted and could easily be removed in seconds for storage. We had a dedicated set of cooking utensils that was always kept in the boat. Plastic knives, forks spoons, paper plates and napkins and other non perishable condiments such as salt and pepper were kept in a waterproof plastic container which also never left the boat except to be replenished. We would simply put our burgers, dogs and whatever in a large cooler with ice or ice packs and bring it with us. We always carried an extra 1 lb bottle of propane also in a waterproof plastic storage box. We carried heavy duty contractor bags for all trash. Cheap plastic trash bags would always leak, contractor bags are the only way to go! You must cook only where the water will remain calm. My kettle grill did not drip grease it was made to burn all drippings and it did. The grill would swing out over the water when cooking for safety reasons.

Thanks a lot. Helped me out.

It would be great if I could be out on Geneva Lake or Lake Michigan today grilling a burger or Italian sausage.
May winter be gone sooner than later....

Back