Maverick shelf

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
Since I am still waiting on my WSM 22.5 to get here I have had a lot of time to try to figure out what mods I want to do. I am thinking of a way to put a small removable shelf on the side for my Maverick to sit on. My question is, how far away from the body does the unit need to be so it will not be damaged from the heat?

I think as long as the Maverick is not touching the cooker it will be fine. I set my transmitter on a small table set up in back of the smoker, it doubles as a pan holder, lid holder, foil holder etc. Mac has built little shelves for his smokers and grills that work fine.

Mark

Thanks. I was just at Home Depot looking for ideas of things to use. I picked up some things that I think will be good to use and easy to work with. After everyone goes to bed will go n the garage and see what I can come up with. If it works will post pics of it tomorrow.

Okay, so after about an hour in the garage last night I came up with this quick solution I think will work pretty well for me. I wanted something that was easily removeable and didn't want to spend a lot of money.

Cost was $6 for the package of hooks, $2 for the magnets and $4 for the spray paint. I just used two pieces of scrap wood I had laying around.

I just marked the angles of the bracket on the wood and where I need to drill the holes in the back of the block.

I cut the ends of the bracket off.

After drilling the holes to check the fit.

I painted the wood and tested mounting it on the garage fridge with the magnets.

If I realize the heat may be too much for the unit, I painted another piece of wood and can easily attach it to block the heat.

James, I am sadly still waiting for Lowe's to tell me my order has come in. Should be anytime now.

That's nice, good work. At first, before I built an attached shelf, I just hung mine on the handles I installed to lift the middle section, never had a problem with heat so you should be good to go.......................d

Very good work. Love the simplicity. Did something a bit similar (but nowhere near as nice), and found (kinda the hard way) that a piece of elastic across the top of the floor piece is most handy to keep the transmitter from falling off as I'm doing other things to the smoker. I used a hair scrunchy appropriated from my daughter - just loop the scrunchy around the bottom piece of wood and slide the U-shaped portion of the hook under the elastic.

Greg

Thanks Greg. As I have been using the smoker today it fell off a few times and I was trying to think of something to use.

I'm not sure if magnets actually loose their power when heated, but I was more concerned about scratching the finish and ensuring a positive, but easily removable mount.

I took a 4 foot 3/8" aluminum rod, and bent it such that it fits in the garage door opener handles down about 4", then is bent out and away from the smoker about 8", with a flat area so I could mount the DX2 bracket with space for the Maverick base unit too. Unplug the probe wires, and the whole shebang pops up in 1 second flat and stores nicely in my smoking box. Works for me.

WSMRemoteHolder_zps5367ab01.jpg

Looks good Scott. I had thought about the possibility of scratches after testing it on the fridge. I just cut a piece of parchment paper a little bigger than the magnets and put that between them and the smoker. I'm not sure about the loss of magnetism, mine ran for about 17 hours for the back to back smokes I did and did not have an issue. Will continue to observe them to see if it is something that can occurs over time.

Looks good Scott. I had thought about the possibility of scratches after testing it on the fridge. I just cut a piece of parchment paper a little bigger than the magnets and put that between them and the smoker. I'm not sure about the loss of magnetism, mine ran for about 17 hours for the back to back smokes I did and did not have an issue. Will continue to observe them to see if it is something that can occurs over time.

To be honest, I was actually drooling over some of the custom carts with built-in wooden tables some folks have posted, but that route was far beyond my abilities.

I am in the same boat Scott. I was actually surprised that I came up with this as quickly as I did. lol

Looks like Alan may be on to something regarding the magnets possibly losing their power when heated. I did not have any problems my first two smokes and tonight the magnets went on fine. When I attached the shelf it slid down the side with the weight. Good thing is it just rested against the lip at the bottom so far. May be back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Well, I have tried the shelf with magnets for about 6 more smokes since my last post. The magnets seem to regain their strength after they are removed from the cooker when I am done. A few times during the cook it slowly slides down the side until it rests on the lip of the bottom section but never actually falls off. The next time I put it on, it stays right where I put it. So overall it is working out really well.

I might suggest trying some neodymium or "rare earth" magnets. They are extremely strong for their size, I cant say if they lose strength when heated though... Nice solution to a common problem though!

I surely am capable to build a stand of some kind as I'm a carpenter, but alas, since my first smoke I have been hooking my transmitter between the lid and the upper lip of the center section of the cooker. When the lid is on the transmitter is held out away from the cooker, when the lid is removed, the unit swivels down and the bottom edge rests on the center section. I haven't had any ill effects yet, but certainly not my idea of a permanent solution...

Back