Alder smoked salmon!

Morgan C.

TVWBB Diamond Member
Howdy folks....my freezer is getting full so we decided to smoke up some of our catch and put some away for a later use!! Nothing like pulling out some smoked salmon from the freezer or pop a jar open when you get invited to that last minute football party! I grew up eating smoked salmon both out of commercial smoke houses and of course the famous little chief smoker...my old man made tons of fish...I remember our job as kids was to go out an stoke the fire (add chips to the smoker pan). I decided to try and recreate this a bit but with the Smokey Mountain!
Started off with a couple nice fish we picked up on Monday afternoon!
null-151.jpg

Fillet these and packed in the freezer then pulled back out, trimmed and into a brine...my standard is 1 cup pickling salt, 1 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 gallon water! Soaked for 12 hours in a covered plastic bowl!
null-142.jpg

The next morning I pulled it all from the brine and patted dry and into a rack in the fridge for about 10 hours!
null-143.jpg

After some fridge time the fish took on a nice shiny pellicle(kind of like fresh coat of lacquer!
null-145.jpg

I used the snake method in the WSM since I have had such good luck with it in the performer...I set it up like this!
null-144.jpg

Gerti was supervising!!...I foiled the bottom rack and used no water pan...I wanted a low cool dry smoke on this with the goal of keeping the heat under 175....starting slow and gradually working the temp up!
A common mistake folks make is to smoke their fish to hot...if you start seeing the fish ooze a white goo then it's too hot and your cookin all the proteins out of the fish. Goal here is to have a nice, moist, smoky and a bit salty snack!
Fish in the WSM!!
null-147.jpg

null-146.jpg

The temp started out at about 100... Slowly creeped up to about 120 2 hours in..at about 4 hours I added some coals to the snake to keep her goin all nite..then crashed!

Got up at 4 am...checked the fish...temp was at 142 and just about at the end if my snake so I added some more and let it go for a bit more!!
null-148.jpg

At about 12 hours I pulled some of the thinner pieces and let the thicker ones go for 14!
Turned out nice and smoky!!
null-149.jpg

Not to salty...moist...this will make perfect snacks!! Smoked salmon dip, smoked salmon Alfredo, good in salad..heck I had some with coffee this morning!!
This will last about 10 days in the fridge or 3 weeks vacuumed packed (well not in my fridge!)
I will use some this weekend and probably can the rest up!

You can freeze it too..good for 6 months or so!

Hope you give this a try!! Good stuff!

Take care!

Love everything about that, thats some good advice for cooking salmon. I have yet to get great results cooking salmon and I will use your advice in the future.

Morgan that is excellent, they look perfect, I do the exact same thing real low and slow with Lake Trout I catch here locally. Some of the best eats on the planet. Well done!

You're killing me Morgan:(.....freezer full of salmon?????:rolleyes: That is sick to us lower 48, especially to me, the lower 1. They look good enough to eat the screen of my computer...............................awesome:cool:.........................d

Very nice Morgan! I still have some left that I caught up there, your right, nothing better than stuff you caught! Good looking Coho's!

Perfect!

Goal here is to have a nice, moist, smoky and a bit salty snack!
Turned out nice and smoky!!
Not to salty...moist...this will make perfect snacks!!
BoyOhBoy, you can say that again!

That is some serious salmon! Never tryed them like that...Traditionaly we only salt the salmon...Maby add herbs(as a rub)+ smoke or just smoke. But 12/14h? What inner temp does your salmon have? Mine is pulled around 122-126f innertemp. After around 2h for a Full slab. Dont start as slow as you...but might do that. But once again what inner temp do you pull?

That is some serious salmon! Never tryed them like that...Traditionaly we only salt the salmon...Maby add herbs(as a rub)+ smoke or just smoke. But 12/14h? What inner temp does your salmon have? Mine is pulled around 122-126f innertemp. After around 2h for a Full slab. Dont start as slow as you...but might do that. But once again what inner temp do you pull?

Daniel I bet there are a thousand recipes and ways to smoke salmon...this has just been my preferred method! I have not tried a dry brine but it is on my list to do! I have a buddy that swears by brining in a 5 gallon bucket and adding salt till it floats a russet potato with a nail in it..short brine 45 to an hour! It always produces good produce but you really go thru the salt...I never do batches that big so my method works fine.

As far as temp..I have never tested temp but just pull when it starts to firm up..I would bet it's probably real close to 120 ish...no hotter than 150!

I have smoked fish several ways but always come back to this method!!

null-152.jpg

Here's a pic of a piece I just cracked open...not dry and very moist...keeping that low temp keeps your fish nice and moist!

Outstanding finished product!!! I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Like you, I grew up on that stuff. Your friend's method is very similar to my dad's method, although he would float a raw egg. He just recently started using a dry brine, and I have to say it is excellent! I'm going to try it on my WSM soon, and I'll post the results. We're having a great salmon season down here so far (about time!). By the way, my dad and I will be fishing up there next summer. Can't wait!!!

Great job as always!!!

Mike

Outstanding finished product!!! I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Like you, I grew up on that stuff. Your friend's method is very similar to my dad's method, although he would float a raw egg. He just recently started using a dry brine, and I have to say it is excellent! I'm going to try it on my WSM soon, and I'll post the results. We're having a great salmon season down here so far (about time!). By the way, my dad and I will be fishing up there next summer. Can't wait!!!

Great job as always!!!

Mike

Nice ...where about are you going?...ya I'm going to try the dry brine as well...I will be doing tho lots come fall!

Back