Minion Method versus Non-Minion - Adding to the Controversy

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
So after a few cooks, I realized that the common denominator in my cooks that were too smokey or had a smoke flavor I did not like was the use of the minion method. I never seemed to pick up the petroleum taste that others detect, but I think the excess smoke from the charcoal was the issue. All of my standard method cooks have been happy (although I need to dial in the charcoal amounts a bit better to keep the heat a little lower). It is also worth noting that others like the smoke flavor when I made stuff using the MM. I think I will return to the MM after getting a better handle on the standard on the WSM, and I know I have had good food using that method cooked by others, so I say to the method, its not you, its me...

They say it takes about 10,000 hours to master something...I think I have logged about 75 - 100 on my WSM. Will try to put some more time in during the week...

-Jeff

jeff, fair concern and well said. I have never had problems using MM but recognize that others may. It's the old groucho marx joke...."doctor, it hurts when I do this.....then don't do that anymore". I guess all have to find what works best for them and go with it. Maybe try a side by side comparison to see what you like better.

Jeff, when you start cooking, have you let the nasty smoke at the beginning of starting the fire clear? The only smoke you should get from the MM is from smoke wood.

Have you tried lump charcoal? I find that it produces a cleaner burning fire. I don't even put on the center section until the smoke it clear - just heat waves.

I also think more is less when dealing with smoke wood to eliminate what I call the "ashtray effect". I use very little smoke wood on top of the fire (I don't embed wood in the MM stack) - maybe two or three chunks of apple or peach - less of oak or hickory.

I hope these ideas help get you what you're looking for.

I concur with Dwain's post. Use lump and wait until the foul smelling smoke disappears. I used an ATC and found it that it takes about two hours for the temps to stabilize and get rid of the smoke. On long smokes, there's no easy way of maintaining the temps without using the MM. If you think the meat has too much smoke just reduced the amount of wood used.

Thanks for the tips guys! I plan on returning to the MM once I get a better feel for the cooker itself. I was thinking that charcoal selection (e.g. lump versus briquettes) would make an impact too. I love the KB charcoal for cooking, but I don't think I like the smoke taste the wood it is made of makes. In any case for now I figured I would remove a few variables from my cooking then gradually re-introduce them.

Thanks again for the advice! Will definitely work with these suggestions.
-Jeff

Back