Custom Kitchen Knives

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Well, I have to confess that as much as I am a BBQ & grilling junkie, I'm equally as much of a kitchen cutlery junkie. I've accumulated a whole bunch of knives over the years (too many, in fact), for many of which I've had custom handles built by various woodworking craftsmen. Here are some photos of my nicer pieces which I'd like to share...

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful pieces of cutlery. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, how much are those pieces worth? They look EXPENSIVE!

Those are some beautiful pieces of cutlery. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, how much are those pieces worth? They look EXPENSIVE!

Hi Dwain,

In terms of how much the pieces are worth, I'd rather not say, because in my wife were to ever see this thread (despite the low probability of her ever seeing this), I would be totally in her doghouse. :)

In terms of how much the pieces are worth, I'd rather not say, because in my wife were to ever see this thread (despite the low probability of her ever seeing this), I would be totally in her doghouse. :)

That's exactly what I thought! HAHA ...but they are ABSOLUTELY beautiful.

That's exactly what I thought! HAHA ...but they are ABSOLUTELY beautiful.

And it's not so much the fact that I spend too much $ on cutlery that would land me in the wife's doghouse, but rather the...ahem..."top secret Swiss bank account" that finances such purchases. ;)

wow these knives are amazing. I especially like the damascus steel in number 1 - is that a Shun mark or am I mistaken?

Also a big fan of your chinese cleavers. I'm sure these things are a pleasure to work with. Do you sharpen them all to 10 degree bevel (except the cleavers) or have you re-profiled the edge to 15 degrees?

wow these knives are amazing. I especially like the damascus steel in number 1 - is that a Shun mark or am I mistaken?

Also a big fan of your chinese cleavers. I'm sure these things are a pleasure to work with. Do you sharpen them all to 10 degree bevel (except the cleavers) or have you re-profiled the edge to 15 degrees?

Hi Dave,

The damascus knife in the first photo is a Hattori KD. These days, KD's are made in very limited quantities (if at all), so I'm glad to have gotten my hands on one many years ago when they were easier to come by.

With regards to sharpening, I sharpen by hand on Japanese waterstones of various grit, anywhere between 10 and 15 degrees, generally going more acute on the blades with harder steel.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple japanese paring knives made from VG-10 steel and have been trying to sharpen them at 10 degree bevel but it's hard to maintain that angle on my waterstones. 15 degrees feels much more natural.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple japanese paring knives made from VG-10 steel and have been trying to sharpen them at 10 degree bevel but it's hard to maintain that angle on my waterstones. 15 degrees feels much more natural.

You're not alone. I also find sharpening small paring knives to be pretty awkward-feeling, for whatever reason.

I know those Murry Carter's set you back a pretty penny. I'd love to have either the Suisin or Konosuke Gyutos you have! Nice looking handles on all your knives, a great collection.

I know those Murry Carter's set you back a pretty penny. I'd love to have either the Suisin or Konosuke Gyutos you have! Nice looking handles on all your knives, a great collection.

Thanks Jeff! The Carters were definitely pricey, being handmade and all, but I was lucky to have bought them several years ago when prices weren't as astronomical as they are these days. I'm a big fan of the Konosuke -- I love the fact that it's stain-resistant but sharpens up like a carbon steel blade.

What are the three nakiris you have and which do you like the best?

Hi Jeff,

I've added info regarding the maker and size of the three nakiris in the photos below. In terms of your question on which one like best, I guess my answer would have to be (d) all of the above. I can't do an apples-to-apples comparison between the three because (1) I bought the Shigefusa Kitaeji damascus nakiri as a collector's item, so it's never been used, and (2) the Watanabe Pro and Shigefusa Kurouchi are different sizes. In terms of overall fit & finish, the Shigfusa Kitaeji damascus blade is definitely the best, but this is reflected in significantly higher price (plus, I was on a 1 year waiting list just to get it). That being said, all three are terrific knives, with the common qualities being (1) very nice grinds which you can see in the cross section photos that result in less "wedging" when cutting food, and (2) very hard steel with freakish edge retention.

Incredible set! I have several nicer pieces (not quite as beautiful as yours, just, much better than average), myself, and familiar with many you have. While I certainly won't divulge the prices...yeah...I can see why ya wanna keep it under the radar ;-p

I don't know much about knives, but yours are beautiful. Very nice collection. I'm currently "rocking" a set of Calphalon we got as a wedding gift. They do just fine, but weigh a ton. They are way better than anything I've owned previously though. But when I go to my parents' place and get to work with my dad's Wusthof Classic Ikons, I feel a BIG difference. I've been looking at Shuns, simply because they are so nice looking. Haven't tried them out yet though.

Last edited:
I don't know much about knives, but yours are beautiful. Very nice collection. I'm currently "rocking" a set of Calphalon we got as a wedding gift. They do just fine, but weigh a ton. They are way better than anything I've owned previously though. But when I go to my parents' place and get to work with my dad's Wusthof Classic Ikons, I feel a BIG difference. I've been looking at Shuns, simply because they are so nice looking. Haven't tried them out yet though.

Hi Jim,
Shuns are definitely worth trying. Shuns were the brand that got me into Japanese knives, and I had an excellent experience using them. When I got into the custom thing, I gave away all my Shuns to various family members. If you're not into freehand sharpening on water stones, one thing that's nice about Shun is that their knives come with free sharpening, as long as you pay to ship them to their facility in Oregon.

Back