Think I fried my Stoker. HELP?

Darren Clark

Thought I would throw this one out to the masses in case anyone has experienced this before and knows if I can salvage the equipment.

In a rush to set up my smoker on the weekend I accidentally plugged the wrong power supply into my Stoker - less than 1 year old...new Wifi version :(

The Stoker runs on 5V and 2A power and the power supply I plugged into it was 12V 1A (actually the power supply for my old Guru). Plugged in and turned on fine watched it boot up for a few seconds and then left to finish off my prep. Came back and Stoker was dead. Realized very quickly that I plugged the wrong power supply in and had likely fried a component or two in the circuit board.

I plan to ask the Stoker folks the same question, but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a sacrificial resistor or some other component in the board that fails to save the rest of the board - or am I up the creek without a paddle and my unit is now a brick and I need to get a new one.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!

Darren

Man. I think you might be outta luck. Open your Stoker up and see if it has an internal fuse that just needs replaced. If not, I would call them up and see what they say. They might be able to repair this one cheaper then replacing it.

Good Luck!
Shawn

Hi Darren,

Opps. Not sure, but I suspect that although you supply 5v, that is regulated down to 3v for the pic chip. If so, then hopefully all that went was a fuse or, more likely, the voltage regulator.

Curiosity will get the best of me yet... going to take a look see tomorrow. (3v vs 5v)

Hopefully it'll be a quick turn around for you.

Bob

Darren,

Opened mine a few ago. All microelectronics SMT stuff. Generally, no user replaceable stuff.
Most everything is 3.3v.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Darren, I did the same thing on my 2nd cook with my new stoker a while back. Call Rocks they fixed mine at no charge. There is some kind of overload protection in there but i dont think it is something you can fix yourself. Worse part for me was explaining to the wife how I broke my new gadget so fast. Then have to wait a few weeks to get it back. Soon as I got it back I wrote STOKER on the plug so I never make mistake again. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I heard back from Rocks as well and they confirm the good news.

Here's what they said: "Send it in we should be able to get the juice flowing again.
There is an over voltage diode to protect the circuit board from exactly that"

I'll send it on in and hope they can resuscitate it!

That's great to hear. Rock's BBQ ROCKS !
fyi... should be component D4, 1N5908, a 5v zener diode.

Bob

Just thought I would update and throw out some HUGE kudos to the folks at Rocks. Sent in my unit and they fixed it and sent it back within a couple weeks. It works like a charm! Great customer service that stands behind their product, even when the problems are boneheaded owners :)

Thanks again Rock's!

DC

Very good news, I'm happy for you! I like stories of outstanding customer service! Seems people are more apt to take time to complain, because they're upset - but less frequently take time to applaud when they're happy. :)

I'm really pleased to here this as I just spent over $700 with Rock's for a Stoker to control to WSMs...glad I picked a great company

Back