Hello from Fredericksburg VA

DavidPerts

Hello everyone. Just ordered my WSM 22.5 a few days ago from Amazon and waiting patiently like a kid at Xmas. I was debating between the two sizes but decided bigger was always better :) Question for the thread - I have read different articles about prepping the WSM with a couple smokes before actually smoking meat and it looks like the camps are split. I would really like to just go for it with a couple briskets. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Dave

Welcome aboard David! Personally I would just make sure your racks are clean and go
for it. That is what I did and worked fine for me. You will find that until you get a few cooks
completed on it that the temps will vary some. Once the "goop" is starting to build up you will
find that your temp control is a lot better. That is what worked for me, others may differ.

Hi, from a neighbor in Prince William County. As Mike said, make sure those racks are clean and start cooking. It'll run a little hot until you get some goop built up. Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome David. Just start cooking. I started with a pork butt. Done ribs, chicken, ABTS. No seasoning at all. Just put it together and lit the charcoal.

Why waste precious cooking time. Get some meat on there. Do wash the grates first though. Welcome to the forum.

Back