WiFi with Static IP

Rob Trainer

TVWBB Member
I am having a weird problem. I want to use a static IP address so that I can access the HM when I am away from the house. So I went into the Network screen, changed the the protocol to Static and entered IP/address/netmask, etc. Hit Save/Apply, waited a bit and then rebooted. It came back up and was accessible using the web and putty.

Weird thing is that the Configuration screen is basically blank and the main screen show the graph but no chart or probe information.

Put things back to DHCP and it works like a champ.

Pretty bizarre that the serial communication was affected by the network configuration. My money is on the fact that it is a coincidence. Set it back to static and see if it works. If the config screen still comes up half empty, use the "Reboot AVR" button on the config page to see if it fixes it.

The problem is that when the linkmeterd starts it doesn't know how much configuration data there is, it just asks HeaterMeter for "everything". If something doesn't transfer correctly, linkmeterd doesn't know what data was in there so it shows up blank in the config screen. The serial reading code seems to be suspiciously error-prone.

I'm using a static address on Wifi for the same reason, and have not had any problems with it. Doesn't do much to help you solve your problem, other than knowing that it will work.

Pretty bizarre that the serial communication was affected by the network configuration. My money is on the fact that it is a coincidence. Set it back to static and see if it works. If the config screen still comes up half empty, use the "Reboot AVR" button on the config page to see if it fixes it.

The problem is that when the linkmeterd starts it doesn't know how much configuration data there is, it just asks HeaterMeter for "everything". If something doesn't transfer correctly, linkmeterd doesn't know what data was in there so it shows up blank in the config screen. The serial reading code seems to be suspiciously error-prone.

Well, I figured I would give it another try. Lo and behold, everything is working. Only thing different than last night is that it had been sitting powered off overnight (no amount of rebooting/power cycling had help last night).

Last edited:

Back