Smoke-Flavored Pizza Dough ?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
For all you bread-bakers out there....is anyone going to try the method for SMOKED BREAD on pizza dough? I don't think I'd sub very much of the smoked flour for the bread flour for the first try, though. :)

Rita

Definitely going to give this a try. Will smoke some "bread flour" as well as some semolina. Hard part is finding the right ratio of smoked to non and then being consistent. As much as I hate liquid smoke, I have experimented a bit with it in pizza dough. It's a fairly consistent product in intensity (unlike a home smoked flour) so it lends itself as a definable ingredient in
terms of volume and intensity.
What would be great is to smoke the wheat before milling...
Next thought would be a bit of the smoked semolina in the next batch of fresh pasta! My first thought is ugh, but I am sure with the right sauce there could be something there!

Last edited:
Marc, what was your opinion of the tests you made with the liquid smoke? I think we are not looking for a first bite of homemade pizza and thinking, "Aha! Liquid smoke!" Subtle is what I'd be looking for.

I was thinking of adding some smoked paprika and/or smoked salt (in the proper proportion) to the dough, but especially with the smoked paprika, the question is how much to add to faintly flavor the baked crust without changing its character or color. Pink pizza dough doesn't sound too appealing.

Also, regarding the smoked flour, I would think one could get fairly consistent results with a stovetop smoker by using a the same heat level with each batch, the same timing, and the same quantity of flour and wood dust or chips.

Rita

Rita... It was a few years back when I did this. From what I can recall, wasn't really happy with the results (although I think my friends were lol). Point being: I was too casual to my approach for both pizza and cooking to keep better records. Times, commitment's, etc..change. Think it's time to revisit this. When I do, I'll post and please continue to share your results and thoughts.

Last edited:

Back