People's Choice Ribs

AlanK

I am entering my first contest and have a question on the people's choice portion for ribs. The organizer requested we provide a bite size portion for 150 people. Do I need to provide a rib for 150 people or do I give a piece of meat from the rib for each person?

Thank you!

The few Peoples choice rib cook-offs I have done all required a full rib per portion. They usually sold for $2.00 each. Looks like the organizer needs to offer more detail as to what is considered a bit size portion.

Definitely good advice to obtain further info. What I typically do for People's Choice is buy full spares and cut down to St. Louis-style. I then cook the rib tip strip along with the Louies, and cut up into two-bite-sozed pieces and serve along with the ribs. Of course, I'm usually at a competition where I'm cutting Louie's to turn in. So, take that for what it's worth...

I've done an event where they provide the ribs that that had the butcher cut the rack down the middle for riblets

I've done an event where they provide the ribs that that had the butcher cut the rack down the middle for riblets

this would seem to make the most sense just from an economical standpoint. The real pain though is finding room for all those racks either way, particularly if you're on a WSM like most of us. We entered into a contest that wanted us to cook a case of ribs and a case of thighs a long with the seven categories. My dad and I work off two 22 WSM and I had several emails to the organizer asking how we were supposed to pull all that off. Guy ended up canceling the event because he couldn't get enough teams...big shocker there.

I have done 11 racks of "riblet" before. ( St. Louis rack cut down the middle). That's really only 5 1/2 St. Louis racks. That would do 110 people. You could get 4 more on so you could serve 150. Cook time was only a little shorter.

Back