Kalua Pig

Tommy Lee

TVWBB Member
So i found this recipe online: http://www.bbqjunkie.com/bbq-r.../hawaiian-kalua-pig/

It says you end up wrapping the butts in foil and cook for 16 hours.

That sounds a bit long for me considering you have it wrapped in foil, which I have seen speed up the cooking process.

So my question is, does 16 hours sound long OR will the foil hold in all of the moisture and not dry out anything?

I was planning on doing 4 butts on Sunday and wrapping them with ti leaves and foil and then putting them each in a foil pan...just in case the foil punctures.

Sound right? Anybody have any experience doing this?

Aloha Tommy... I do kalua pig in the imu, in the oven or in an electric counter-top roaster; all depending on how much I need to prepare.
I have never done it in a smoker or WSM. 16 hours is way too long. I would just season with Hawaiian salt, add a couple dashes of liquid smoke, place in a roasting pan, cover well with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 4 to 5 hours. Meat will fall apart. In an electric roaster, I would place the meat directly into the pan, season the same way and set the temp to medium-high. Cook for the same length of time.

For those who frown on the use of liquid smoke and still want the "traditional" flavor, you will have to dig an imu...

Good luck

Sweet, I was hoping you would reply. I have done Kalua Pig in the smoker before, but ran into the link I sent above and just couldn't believe 16 hours was remotely OK.

Would love to dig an imu, but not sure how our association would feel about that
icon_smile.gif

I'll post pics, luckily my in-laws brought me some ti-leaves from home. The last few times I have been doing it I had to use Banana leaves...just not that same.

mahalo

Aloha kakahiaka... mahalo for your reply. You will do good. tomorrow I will huli-huli a pig for a going away party for my friends son.
For that "banana" flavor I have often placed a banana in the pan. Kinda close but not traditional.
By the way, what part of HI you from? I went to school with a Tommy Lee.

alohas and good luck...

Tommy- I have done it just like Joe, in a crock pot. COmes out good. My wife is from Hawaii and loves it, so I guess I am doing something right. Have also done it in the WSM, but I thnk she prefers it in the crock pot. I also like to shred cabbage at the end and add it in.

Originally posted by Joe Abad:
Aloha kakahiaka... mahalo for your reply. You will do good. tomorrow I will huli-huli a pig for a going away party for my friends son.
For that "banana" flavor I have often placed a banana in the pan. Kinda close but not traditional.
By the way, what part of HI you from? I went to school with a Tommy Lee.

alohas and good luck...

Oahu...went Kamehameha.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Please post some pictures and a recipe. I would like to try Kalua pig. Thanks

Will do, I threw it on about 3 hours ago, so should be done in a few hours.

Originally posted by DennisM:
Tommy- I have done it just like Joe, in a crock pot. COmes out good. My wife is from Hawaii and loves it, so I guess I am doing something right. Have also done it in the WSM, but I thnk she prefers it in the crock pot. I also like to shred cabbage at the end and add it in.

Yea, we have done crock pot...def good, but figured I got the smoker so might as well try...plus I am doing 20 pounds right now, can't do that in our crockpot
icon_smile.gif

Here are the initial pics, I'll post more once I pull it off the WSM.

Prep:
kalua1.JPG

Transporting (20 pounds pork shoulder from Costco):
kalua2.JPG

Loaded on the WSM:
kalua3.JPG

Finished product:
kalua4.JPG

There's a reference here as well for next time. Obviously not 100% authentic but darn good. I love the flavor of the banana leaves. Finish it with a white wine and dried mushroom sauce. Good stuff!

Clark

Back