Professional Grade...

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2000, when I started The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board with the help of my friend, Kevin Kawahara, it was meant to be a companion to The Virtual Weber Bullet, the Smokey Mountain Cooker website I started publishing in 1998.

Back in those dark days of the web--before there was blogging, podcasting, photo sharing, Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube--if you wanted to add some interaction to a static website, you added a discussion forum. Of course, over the years, the discussion on TVWBB grew beyond just the Weber Bullet to all Weber grills and accessories. As it turns out, if you own a WSM, you also probably own a Weber kettle and/or a Weber gas grill, too.

At that time, I was employed by Hewlett-Packard as a website designer, working on product support websites. I was used to creating professional online experiences, and I was used to the whole notion of supporting products. I viewed The Virtual Weber Bullet website and The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board discussion forum very much as product support sites. I thought of them as the sites that the Weber company, for whatever reason, could not or would not produce themselves.

So I designed TVWBB to be very professional in appearance. I established rules in keeping with professional forums. I had a strict registration process to keep out spammers and trolls. I had a real name policy to keep the discussion friendly and minimize flaming posts. I had high expectations for how people should conduct themselves in the forums. I ran a tight ship. And I still do today, 13 years later.

I've also kept in mind that people working at Weber read The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I had the privilege of visiting Weber's corporate offices in 2008, and meeting and cooking with members of the Weber family and company staff. They told me that they read TVWBB on a regular basis. I never want any of them to see something on TVWBB that is of questionable taste or that reflects poorly on the Weber brand.

And finally, in this day and age when anyone can Google your name and learn everything about you, I want TVWBB to reflect well upon me, especially when looking for new employment opportunities in a competitive job market.

So for all these reasons, TVWBB is a professional-grade discussion forum. Always has been, always will be.

I'm honored to be part of this great forum Chris. Thanks a Million :) I've lurked for some months. I knew I wanted to get rid of my Chargriller but did not know if I wanted a WSM, BGE or a Pellet grill. I frequented all the mentioned forums. After reading and looking at the photos of this site I purchased a WSM, Gas Assist Performer and now a Weber FirePlace. If it wasn't for this site I probably would not of purchased the Webers...Now I will never sell them.

I can't remember how I found tvwbb. I think I probably already had a WSM when I came here. But, all these years later, I still don't do a thing on it, until I consult TVWB. Congratulations, Chris. This is an excellent resource. Very professional, to say the least.

Chris, I found TVWB before I ordered my WSM. This site helped me make the decision on my WSM22 over other options. I have learned so much from your site and we all owe you a huge thanks for not only the information we receive here but for the friendships and associations that come about because of you and this site. I have not found a better source for help and believe me I have looked. Weber is very lucky you started you "magnificent obsession" (old movie reference). I would be willing to bet that you are responsible for a lot of sales of their products. You are a Weber goodwill ambassador. Thank-you for all you do for us!!!

Chris, I found this forum while researching Weber Genesis Grills. I had a relative give me an ECB shortly after buying my grill and this site helped me in making the mods to make the ECB a useable smoker. Though I'm still using the ECB I am in negotiations with Santa right now in the hopes of receiving a WSM for Christmas this year and retiring the ECB. This sight has taught me everything I know about smoking and also made me a much better griller. There is a wealth of knowledge here and we owe that all to you in making this a place that people feel comfortable and want to be involved. This is the most professional forum I have been a part of and I thank you for that!

I sure Weber loves the fact that you run this sight, it saves them the trouble of doing it themselves.;)

Jeff

I came across the website researching smokers. I have looking at the site for a couple years, and finally got the courage to go buy one. I have no experience in grilling and bbq, but always wanted to do it. Now I'm hooked on the site.

I designed TVWBB to be very professional in appearance. I established rules in keeping with professional forums. I had a strict registration process to keep out spammers and trolls. I had a real name policy to keep the discussion friendly and minimize flaming posts. I had high expectations for how people should conduct themselves in the forums. I ran a tight ship. And I still do today, 13 years later.
...I never want any of them to see something on TVWBB that is of questionable taste or that reflects poorly on the Weber brand.
...TVWBB is a professional-grade discussion forum. Always has been, always will be.
...and for some reason, some folks just cannot grasp that.
Chris, thank you!

I must admit that the 'real name policy' caused me a bit of a pause before registering for an account. Then I realized that most folks on the other message boards I frequent know my real name, so it's not like it's not out there already.

Let me ask this question. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using our real names? On sites that you can't use spaces in a user name I just use "rivey". I have never felt that I should hide who I am. If I am going to have an opinion, I should be upfront enough to let the world know who exactly is expressing that opinion, right or wrong. When I first found this site, I was very happy that Chris required that we use our real names. That is one of the things that makes this site professional. I wish all sites required this, it is an excellent policy and I for one salute Chris for this.
Thank-you

Like Bob Ivey, I found the site first. I already owned my 22.5" kettle and my SJP, along with a New Braunfels that I couldn't control. Upon reading about the WSM on this site, I went out and bought mine. This site has always been very professional in my eyes, that's why I'm here every day.

Chris, you have done a great job - as owner, web designer and moderator of this site. I know of no other site I enjoy as much, or that has as many wonderful members…all because of your efforts. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Thanks for all the comments so far, everyone!

I think I will address the pros/cons/trends of "real name policy" in more detail in a future musing.

Let me ask this question. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using our real names? On sites that you can't use spaces in a user name I just use "rivey". I have never felt that I should hide who I am. If I am going to have an opinion, I should be upfront enough to let the world know who exactly is expressing that opinion, right or wrong. When I first found this site, I was very happy that Chris required that we use our real names. That is one of the things that makes this site professional. I wish all sites required this, it is an excellent policy and I for one salute Chris for this.
Thank-you

I prefer to keep a low online profile if at all possible. The less info you give the potential weirdos out there, the better. And yes, I have personal experiences where weirdos have made attempts at finding personal information on folks with not-so-good intentions.

I visited several grill sites before I discovered this one and so glad that I did. Perhaps not as big, perhaps not as many members but it ranks at the top in helpfullness from the members. Not sure that I would have mastered (well, never really mastered) the WSM without the advice available here, as it shortened the learning curve by months, if not by years. As for the mods to the wsm, I would have never thought to do most of them and cannot imagine using the smoker without them............thanks a bunch to all the members for their advice and especially to Chris for the site.......................David

Chris, you really have created a culture of enthusiasm, respect, and knowledge sharing on the site. It gives us all a warm fuzzy and fun place to go!

Well Done!

Counterpoint - I'd have a lot more spare time to do XXXXXX, if I did't find this site.

Before TVWB - one el cheapo gas bbq
After TVWB - 1 18.5 WSM, 1 q120 gas, 1 22.5 gold, 1 used platinum (needs work), 1 Weber Skyline (needs fixing up), 1 smokey Joe (waiting for mini-WSM) modification

Back