June 22 Pechanga BBQ comp.

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Cant wait to go this weekend to Pechanga. Who else is going?
Its going to be a good one and good luck to our very own Steve Aguilar ( Vicious Smoke) that according to the pechanga website he will be competing.

EDIT: Pics added...

Here we are at the bbq comp at pechanga.
Left to right... Steve Aguilar from Vicious smoke. Me and Maribel and Bob Bass.

Last edited:
I work Aug 3rd weekend also. Actually I get a lot of time off but a lot of it is during the week.

Despite the middle of the pack finish, we had a great time. Actually, I felt this was one of my best all-round cooks, but the judges didn't agree. Sometimes, it's a crap shoot, but sometimes your cook goes so well the judges have to score you high, ie. Left Coast Q. Those guys are on fire lately.

Steve...

You and Bobby did very well. Middle of the pack, given who was in that pack, is doing Very Well indeed !!!!!

Given these facts :
You feel a particular cook is excellent, but the judges don't.
You feel a particular cook didn't turnout well, but the judges get it all 9s.

It is very possible Matt and team cook to a less than a perfect product... (chuckle).

A Big Congratulations to Matt and his Team!
... Like the post on that other site 'bout fencing off Banning ! ... They have 5 GC's this year alone, so far...

And a Big Congratulations to our very own Jerry A of Burning and Lootin' for their Reserve Grand Champion ! Awesome guys !

Had a great time yesterday. Between the awesome judging session (101 judges with some doing TC and other duties), spending some quality time with a friend that I haven't seen in over 10 yrs, finally meeting Tony and his family (of cooks, no less !), and spending time with you, your team, and Tony and his family, it was a most completely satisfying day I've had in a long long time !!!

Bob

Last edited:
I tried to get in for awards but was turned away...
Thanks for having us Steve at your spot and Bob you sir are a character..:)
We had a great time and ended having beers with a tribal member and her husband for the rest of the day...

I tried to get in for awards but was turned away...
After the contest and our thoroughly enjoyable time together with your super family, headed over to our city's EOC where our group was holding their Field Day. Of course there was a BBQ going on to help feed the crew and spent some time with the pitmaster discussing... bbq ;) . If I hadn't had to journey off, we could have tried what we did earlier...

...Bob you sir are a character..:)
Thanks... I think :rolleyes: (chuckle)

We had a great time and ended having beers with a tribal member and her husband for the rest of the day...
That's what it's all about... New Friends, Old Friends, Good Times and Good BBQ !

Back