Perfect Smoky Rib Eyes

Chris Sherman

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok...I have been working on this for a while, and now I think I have it perfect. I'm providing instructions for an 18.5 WSM, so adapt for what you have. This method requires 2 fires.

First get your meat. The closer to 1 1/2" thick steaks the better. I like to buy a whole roast and cut my own. That way I also have a few beef ribs too. Look for the most intramuscular marbling you can get.

24 hours before your cook, salt your meat with Kosher salt so that both sides are between moderately to heavily sprinkled. I'd guess at least 5-6 pinches a side per steak.

Place meat on a cooling rack that sits in a baking sheet, and put in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered.

Jump to 24 hours in the future.

Start your charcoal...about 3/4 chimney of KB. Once lit, place in your WSM. Place 2 fist sized oak chunks directly on the coals and allow to catch fire.

Assemble smoker once wood is engulfed in flames but not consumed (much like the BRITU instructions). Close all vents except the top for now. We're shooting for 185* or so but not over 200* as measured at the lid therm.

While waiting for your temp to stabilize, get the meat out of the fridge, brush or spray both sides with EVOO (I spray with a Misto), then generously sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper.

Now confirming your temps are stable and under 200*, place your steaks on the top grate and note the time. Yes, you want to put the meat on as close to refrigerator cold as possible. This allows for the most smoke absorption.

You'll probably want to crack open 1 or more of the lower vents at this point to start the smoke going.

At about the 45 minute mark, flip the meat. Although even if you don't flip it, you'll still be fine.

You now have a decision to make for your finishing fire. You can do this any number of ways, but whatever you choose, the fire has to be HOT.

Personally, I find it easiest to just move to my gas grill preheated to 550-600* with all burners full throttle.
I have also started another chimney of lump, and added that the existing fire in the WSM. Then just take the top grate with the meat still on it and place it right on your charcoal ring. Or just do the same with your kettle.
You could also sear them on the stove inside, but I have never done this.

Alright once you have your secondary fire of choice in the works, check the internal temps. When you pull it off depends on the temperature you like your rib eyes. I like my rib eyes medium. I feel the connective tissue in rib eye gets broken down better at medium doneness as opposed to the rarer temps I like my tenderloin at. So I pull mine at around 120*-125*. Remember we're supposed to have thick steaks. Allow for a rise of 15 to 20* during searing.

Now sear on your finishing fire about 2-3 minutes a side until the fat has a nice char. I highly recommend GrillGrates for this step no matter which kind fuel you're running for your high temp fire.

Allow to rest 5-10 minutes on the same cooling rack set up you used for the fridge (washed of course).

Enjoy your perfectly cooked, smoky rib eyes. :)

20130524_190359.jpg

Last edited:
Tony, you won't regret it. A little extra work than just "throwin' em on the grill" but the results are really worth it. Especially at the price rib eye's are at these days. You're lucky if you can find them at $5 per lb.

Also, you will not need any additional seasonings after they're done. ;)

Last edited:
Tony, you won't regret it. A little extra work than just "throwin' em on the grill" but the results are really worth it. Especially at the price rib eye's are at these days. You're lucky if you can find them at $5 per lb.

Also, you will not need any additional seasonings after they're done. ;)

You state that "at about the 45 minute mark, flip the meat. Although even if you don't flip it, you'll still be fine." How long do you smoke it after you flip the meat?

Chris, those look AMAZING! The bummer is that I've never seen good rib eyes anywhere near $5 per lb! Plus, I like that's it's simple salt & pepper seasoning...thanks Chris!

Great pics and great description. I've been working on a very similar routine while refining a reverse sear method. A lot of folks do both steps on their charcoal grill with a two-zone setup, but I liked the idea of doing the two steps separately so did the low & slow on the WSM and the sear on the OTG. I smoked 2 inch ribeyes at 210F to an internal temperature of 115F (about 40 minutes), then moved to GrillGrates on a hot charcoal grill to sear for 3 minutes per side with the lid off. They came out medium, and it was one of my best efforts to date. I still plan on tweaking the routine some, but I really like it.

Do you keep the temp below 200F and start them refrigerator cold for reasons other than to get more time in the smoke? Thanks!

Great pics and great description. I've been working on a very similar routine while refining a reverse sear method. A lot of folks do both steps on their charcoal grill with a two-zone setup, but I liked the idea of doing the two steps separately so did the low & slow on the WSM and the sear on the OTG. I smoked 2 inch ribeyes at 210F to an internal temperature of 115F (about 40 minutes), then moved to GrillGrates on a hot charcoal grill to sear for 3 minutes per side with the lid off. They came out medium, and it was one of my best efforts to date. I still plan on tweaking the routine some, but I really like it.

GrillGrates are one of the best purchases I've made for superb searing. The sear marks in the OP pic were made with them.

Do you keep the temp below 200F and start them refrigerator cold for reasons other than to get more time in the smoke? Thanks!

Nope...for those reasons only. If I wasn't gonna put some smoke on them, I'd let them sit out and come up in temp for about an hour. ;)

Last edited:
At about the 45 minute mark, flip the meat. Although even if you don't flip it, you'll still be fine.

Couple of questions...

If I am understanding, flip at the 45 minute mark and then pull the steaks out of the smoker 15 to 20 degrees below the final target temp?

On average how long does it take to get to the temperature where you pull off the smoker?

what is EVOO?

So I followed this method pretty much to a T. Meat turned out well but way too smokey. I used too much pecan wood. Meat was extremely tender but next time going to use a more mild wood and less of it! I pulled the steaks off the smoker when meat reached 125 degrees internally. I lit 20 kingsford briquettes and did a mini minion fire in the smoker. I was worried it would be tough to hold the smoker at 185 degrees but it held like a champ. Smokey mountain never lets me down! I finished the steaks on my propane grill and got a great crust.

salt and freshly ground black pepper only. Good meat does not need anything else!

Just put on my 18'' Smokey Mountain

Don't judge I don't have a weber propane grill... stuck with my brinkman but it does have a nice sear section. has two burners right next to each other to sear meat. buried that needle!

final product plated up...

Thanks for posting!

Couple of questions...

If I am understanding, flip at the 45 minute mark and then pull the steaks out of the smoker 15 to 20 degrees below the final target temp?

On average how long does it take to get to the temperature where you pull off the smoker?

what is EVOO?
Sorry for the very late reply, Tommy.

Basically, flip when your temp hits the half way point of where you want the steaks when you pull it off the smoker before the sear. Again, this step is not critical and the effects may not even be noticeable.
Yes, allow for a rise of 10-20 degrees during the searing (and brief) resting process.
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. ;)

Those steaks (cooked and uncooked), look awesome!
Sucks about the over-smoke, I should have warned that you gotta be careful about that.
I'll usually only use 1-2 small chunks of red oak.
Still looks delicious.
As a side note, recently I've been turning my Grill Grates upside down for a more complete sear. Grill marks are pretty, but I've found I prefer more complete coverage of the crust.
Thanks for trying this out. At least you know what to do for next time. :)

Last edited:

Back