Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 1,041 to 1,046 of 1046

Thread: General 3D Printing Thread

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    That is a pretty awesome mod, and really nice instructions to go with it. Even stranger... one of my batteries is that same IMREN brand!

Running a HeaterMeter off 18650 cells is doable, but you'd want at least a 3S pack although a 4S would probably be fine as well. The DC input is good up to 24V but when the blower first turns on, it gets a fraction of a second of full battery voltage to kick the fan on before it steps down which could cause an issue with 4S voltage? I know it works on the test bench, but I'm not sure if there's long-term damage to the blower slowly building up. A Pi Zero + a HeaterMeter pulls in the 250mA ballpark though, so if there's a fan spinning as well, you'd max out at around 10 hours from 3500mAh cells. SLA batteries (from UPSes) or car / motorcycle lead acid batteries work great, and the 7AH size lasts a whole pulled pork cook for me with a good 30% left to spare. Plug the battery directly into the barrel jack.

Let me know if you need any help understanding the OpenSCAD case file, I'm happy to help.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Just a thought for battery power. Car jumper packs are now made out of LiPo batteries. They output 12V. Most folks could use one anyway. Some even come with the proper cord.
    Joe Widmayer

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    I thought of those but they're pretty expensive ($40+) compared to just a 7AH UPS battery ($20). The capacities are a bit misleading too, since a 7AH 12V battery gives you 7AH at 12V and the lithium jump starters are at 3.7V, so an 8000mAh pack is actually 2466mAh at 12V and probably closer to 2000mAh after boost efficiency conversion. They also might have built-in cutoffs to prevent them from being used continuously at 12V output. The problem with the 12V UPS battery is that you need a lead-acid charger as well so there is a definite advantage on the jump packs there.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 01-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    Here's a link to my Adapt-a-Damper design in Fusion 360. You're welcome to play around with it and make any mods you like!

https://a360.co/2DcJ5Fk
    Do you have the fusion link for "adapter.stl" ? I was gonna make a little tpu plug so I can remove the damper when I am done cooking, and plug up the intake to snuff out the fire.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H - thehebs View Post
    Do you have the fusion link for "adapter.stl" ? I was gonna make a little tpu plug so I can remove the damper when I am done cooking, and plug up the intake to snuff out the fire.
    I do not, but I could set it up pretty quickly this afternoon. I'll update once I have it made.

Bryan,
    Your right. Those jumper packs are good for surge but maybe not continuous as we need. I bought a bunch of different connectors for them. The main one that comes with it to jump the car is ill suited as it has safeguards in it that will probably interfere with low power, continuous.
    I switched from the SLA jumper boxes to the smaller LiPo ones. I park old cars in airport parking lots. Nothing worse than a dead battery late at night with no one around.

Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105