Positioning the top vent on the WSM

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
There is a generally accepted practise when using the WSM, the top vent should always be fully open. However when using a ceramic cooker there does not seem to be an issue restricting both top and bottom vents for LNS.
Both of styles of cookers operate under the same principle as a wood stove. When you want to keep the heat inside a stove you close down the exhaust damper. As the fire builds coals (similar to the minion method) you need to close down the lower vents. These adjustments help your cooker settle in to a constant temperature and save fuel.
Obviously the ceramic cookers are better insulated and need to generate less heat to accomplish the same goal. With the WSM , the wide open vent logic comes from the belief that bitterness is caused by lingering smoke and will affect taste. Why is this not the case with ceramic cookers?

My question is why should there be any real difference? Is it necessary to leave the top vent wide open as compared to a ceramic style cooker?

I have always accepted the wide open vent practise and have not tried it any other way. I think I will give it a shot now.

Last edited:
I noticed this on a friends ceramic cooker as well. So...I started using the top vent AFTER adjusting the bottom vents. I found this especially helpful on the mini wsm. I ensure the top vent is open more than the bottom vents to ensure air flow. My low n slow setup usually looks something like bottom vents 25% open and top vent 75% open.

Dwain, I've been making a habit of restricting my 26 for LNS and have the top vent closed as much as 75%. I use lump and have no bitter taste. I also use plenty of smoke wood and my bottom is also restricted. I think your method of always have the bottom more resticted makes good sense.

That's what got me thinking about the wide open practise for the WSM. Is it really necessary?

I always start with the top vent open and close it 25 to 50% after I get a really clean burning fire. I think it helps keep temps down when smoking without water in the pan.

I will adjust the top if I need to do some temperature control, like a beer can chicken for example. I will adjust the bottom first, let it settle in a little then adjust the top if I need to tame the temp a little more. Even everything I've read about the taboo closing of the top vent, I have never had an issue even when I have had to close 'em all down to bring temps down quick.

I will restrict the top vent at times to bring temps down quickly, but for the most part, it's wide open.
Probably the case for most of us here.
Good topic though Gary.

Once my fire is established both the top and bottom vents are closed down, regardless of whether I am using my ceramic or my WSM. the top vent is opened when I have to add fuel, which I have to do with the WSM in a LNS cook. Close it back up when the smoke clears. I have to admit I have never tried leaving the top vent open for an entire cook with the WSM so I will have to give it a shot and see what happens.

Once my fire is established both the top and bottom vents are closed down, regardless of whether I am using my ceramic or my WSM. the top vent is opened when I have to add fuel, which I have to do with the WSM in a LNS cook. Close it back up when the smoke clears. I have to admit I have never tried leaving the top vent open for an entire cook with the WSM so I will have to give it a shot and see what happens.

If I close top and bottom vents, my fire will go out as that is the shut off mode. Once I reach my desired temp, the top vent is always fully open, and two bottom vents fully closed and third one 1/4 to 1/2 open.

As for the opening post it is a good question to discuss the difference between the wsm and the egg cooking concerning the vent openings. Might be one of those, "cause that's the way we always did it answers"...........................d

i will usually adjust the bottom ones till i get the temp i like. i will close the and open the top vent for micro management but i have never closed the top more than 25 %.
but the only way to find out is to experiment yerself and see what you like.

If I close top and bottom vents, my fire will go out as that is the shut off mode. Once I reach my desired temp, the top vent is always fully open, and two bottom vents fully closed and third one 1/4 to 1/2 open.

As for the opening post it is a good question to discuss the difference between the wsm and the egg cooking concerning the vent openings. Might be one of those, "cause that's the way we always did it answers"...........................d

Exactly David. From my perspective I've done it that way because that is what we are basically told but when you apply what is done with a ceramic cooker and think about the basic principles of fire in a stove then maybe some part of this process needs to be re-thought. It would save fuel as well.

Exactly David. From my perspective I've done it that way because that is what we are basically told but when you apply what is done with a ceramic cooker and think about the basic principles of fire in a stove then maybe some part of this process needs to be re-thought. It would save fuel as well.

If one is cooking without smoke, I can see closing the top vent. However, it has been preached to me that one desires for the smoke to exit so as to not become stale and paint the meat with dangerous stuff, exactly why this is not the case with the egg, I'm not sure. Still, good question......................................d

If one is cooking without smoke, I can see closing the top vent. However, it has been preached to me that one desires for the smoke to exit so as to not become stale and paint the meat with dangerous stuff, exactly why this is not the case with the egg, I'm not sure. Still, good question......................................d

You make an excellent point David and it occurs to me the answer might well be that with the egg you have to use lump, not briquettes. To a lot of people when they think briquettes they think KB. I can't stand the smell of that stuff even after it's supposedly burned off so restricting it would really not be a good idea.

Last edited:

Back