Networking Problem With HM4

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have almost everything working on my HM except some networking issues. I am able to access my HM from my browser on my local network with my Cat5 connection. Can't with my wireless connection. I have the Edimax installed and and I can see a consistent flash flash flash ... . I can not access out of my network or into my HM from outside my network. When I try to do an AVR Update from the online source, I get the following message

"wget: bad address 'capnbry.net'
Download failed"

I am including screen shots of the networking setup in hopes that someone with more networking chops than mine can help. My network is a UVerse static IP and works perfectly. Every other type of device I put onto the network gets internet access but the HM. Obviously I am doing something wrong so all I can say is HELP. Due to the networking issue so far I have not even attempted to setup email alerts.

The pictures show all network settings I have made. Hopefully, someone here with better skills can show me where I went wrong. I don't mind only accessing my cooks from my own network, but being able to use the email function would be useful.

By posting all of this I am also hoping that others with these types of problems will be helped.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933157040601762

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933172564956866

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933182177597362

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933203017150466

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933208546009298

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331278943221912636/HMProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933217179488018

https://picasaweb.google.com/115331...key=Gv1sRgCJ-FucTV-aPigQE#5886933234131741362

Tried posting these as images but couldn't get them to be visible so I was stuck with the links.

Last edited:
I see from image number 2 you made the same mistake I did and changed your lan to the same subnet as your home wireless network. Change the lan connection back to 192.168.200.x, it solved my problem. There is a great thread on about page 7 on how to set up wireless by Bryan. It will explain not to have wireless and lan on same subnet. Wish that thread was a sticky as it is excellent. Good luck.

I will try this when I get home from work tonight.
Does anyone else have any ideas why when I am using just my Cat5 connection I can see everything BUT the HM can not access the web for AVR update? These settings always worked for other devices for hardwired network connections but not for HM. Again, I know I am missing something.

Does anyone else have any ideas why when I am using just my Cat5 connection I can see everything BUT the HM can not access the web for AVR update?
Yeah probably what is happening is dnsmasq is messing with your DNS settings behind the scenes. Try going to System -> Startup and setting dnsmasq to disabled and reboot. I know on my devices I can't resolve any host inside my network with it running, although the outside works fine.

I've not had any problem running and IP from the same block on my LAN and WiFi, contrary to the warnings on the forum here. I posted this in another thread and at least two people confirmed they are able to run this setup without issue as well.

The only things that jump out about your network settings are:

Under Network/Interfaces you show THREE network interfaces? I thought that strange cause on my unit I only see the wired LAN and the WiFi, I dont see the WWAn.

In your IP setup I notice you have your router IP listed for the IPV4 Broadcast. I was not sure what to do with this setting, but when I leave it BLANK my internet works, when I put in my router IP there is does NOT work. Of coarse we are working with different routers so yours may have different capabilities than mine...

I am not sure why your says "Unsupported Protocol Type" next to your WiFi? If I were you I would delete WWAN and Wireless (leaving only LAN), delete the IP in the IPV4 Broadcast setting (leave it blank). You should get internet access via LAN at this point. Then add back the WireLess adapter, go to the WIFI tab and click SCAN to locate your WiFi router and select it, and enter in the security info needed to connect to your WiFi.

I've not had any problem running and IP from the same block on my LAN and WiFi, contrary to the warnings on the forum here. I posted this in another thread and at least two people confirmed they are able to run this setup without issue as well.

The only things that jump out about your network settings are:

Under Network/Interfaces you show THREE network interfaces? I thought that strange cause on my unit I only see the wired LAN and the WiFi, I dont see the WWAn.

In your IP setup I notice you have your router IP listed for the IPV4 Broadcast. I was not sure what to do with this setting, but when I leave it BLANK my internet works, when I put in my router IP there is does NOT work. Of coarse we are working with different routers so yours may have different capabilities than mine...

I am not sure why your says "Unsupported Protocol Type" next to your WiFi? If I were you I would delete WWAN and Wireless (leaving only LAN), delete the IP in the IPV4 Broadcast setting (leave it blank). You should get internet access via LAN at this point. Then add back the WireLess adapter, go to the WIFI tab and click SCAN to locate your WiFi router and select it, and enter in the security info needed to connect to your WiFi.

Ralph, you are the man. I removed the ipv4 Broadcast and deleted the wwan and wireless and tried the network via avr update and it finally worked. Will now put my edimax back in and set it up and see how that works.

Ralph, put the edimax back in with no joy. can't access the hm with the wireless ip but can access via the wired ip. tried the wireless with and without the wired ip plugged in. Still have internet access via avr update. From your previous posts you said you have access to hm screens with both wired and wireless. I have before also but screwed everything up by redoing all when I thought the last update created a display problem but it was actually a defective display. Even then though I did not have internet access. So basically I am halfway back. I can always run a network cable to the back porch since I have to put in a 110 AC plug back there this week for a cook on friday. I will now check for email functionality and try and figure out the wireless problem. Any thoughts?

I don't remember if I did but I will try that. Also developed another problem. Tried to set up email notification and when I hit apply the services screen gives the following message.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://192.168.2.86/luci/;stok=185a1da801e896d0e44bd931032e65bb/admin/services/
Line Number 296, Column 1:<h2><a id="content" name="content">500 Internal Server Error</a></h2>
^

That is all that shows up when I press the services tab. I must have entered something wrong.

Ralph I will try rescanning and see what happens with the wifi access. Thanks

Ralph, tried rescanning and still no joy. Just realized that the wired cable was plugged in but before all the previous problems I was able to pull up screens for both wired and wireless at the same time.

I haven't done any email notifications... Are you using SendMail in the Alarm Scripts sectoin?

No, I thought I was just supposed to enter standard email settings.
At this point, I would be happy to just get the services tab back to default and not worry about email. Also figure out the wifi issue. That is much more important.

Yes. The info looks good.

It's been a while since I connected to my WiFi router, and my HM is on the pit right now using the WiFi so I can't play with it. After you scan for WiFi networks, have you then connected to your network and supplied the required passcode or whatever your WiFi requires to connect? and/or hit the little button on your router (if it has one) to allow new clients to connect? In other words, are you sure your wifi is allowing the HM to connect? Also, are you sure you are predicting the IP of your HM properly? Reboot the HM and watch the display for about a minute, see if an IP address shows up there and call out to that IP...

You were right to a point. The change in rescanning made it revert to dhcp so I tried the ip the display showed and no joy. Logged on to my wireless access point and it is showing my edimax mac address as logged on. I will try accessing from my ipad and see if that makes a difference.

No joy logging on via ipad either. I think I will try changing to a different access point I have access to here.

It seems your WiFi is letting it connect, are you able to connect to the HM via computer that is WIRED to your WiFi router? Do you have matching IP blocks and subnets on the HM and the computer/device you are trying to connect with?

Back