Timing the bbq'ing

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Dave,

What a great priveledge to be able to speak with you. I am up here in that great bbq mecca of the "Great White North'!

My question is about how you manage and time the start of the bbqing at your restaurants. Do you cook over night? Do staff start bbqing in the middle of the night? Do you bbq anything ahead of time and then rethermalize for the day?

Thanks
Ken
Alberta, Canada

An addition to these questions. I would like to know how long you all smoke the ribs, pork and brisket? I am sure you have to speed up the process some for the masses.

Hi Dave,

What a great priveledge to be able to speak with you. I am up here in that great bbq mecca of the "Great White North'!

My question is about how you manage and time the start of the bbqing at your restaurants. Do you cook over night? Do staff start bbqing in the middle of the night? Do you bbq anything ahead of time and then rethermalize for the day?

Thanks
Ken
Alberta, Canada

Depending on the restaurant and the equipment. Some restaurants have enough smokers so they can manage smoking only during the day. Some of the older restaurants have to smoke throughout the night. Ribs are smoked about 3 to 5 hours depending on how full the smoker is and that really isn't to far different than what you do at home there really isn't a right answer depending on what's in the smoker... what's always important... "IS the rib tender?" and that is when it comes out of the smoker. Pork Butts can go as long as 14 hours and briskets up to 16 hours. We don't speed up anything. What changes is how we do the the product. Somethings are proprietary that took a long time to figure out and I really can't share everything here. Yes, we do rethermalize but when we do this... you have to be careful that the product has first reached a stage where is has reached a certain tenderness stage so when you cool things down you are somewhat near being finished but if you know anything about the mechanics of of the molecular breakdown you must get past that "plateau" stage or your meat will be "cooked in the squat" as my friend Zig Ziglar used to say. Which means you'll never be able to tenderize this meat properly... I suppose you could but then it would be mush and there's a difference between being a mushy type of tenderness and being "juicy tender." Going back to your original question... no we don't have people coming in the middle of the night. In our restaurants, our pits have temperature and timing controls and we have been doing this now for 19 years and we have pretty much everything down to a science. Hope this helps! Blessings... my friend up in Canada eh' "Famous Dave"

Last edited:
Again Dave, many thanks for sharing from us hosers up here in the Great White North. "Coo loo coo coo, coo coo coo coo"

Ken

Back