SD Card Problem

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Just trying to finish my heater meter and a downloaded the two files to prep the sd card. A 32 mb sd card was specified and I already had one sitting that was good. I reformatted the sd card then ran the win32diskimager program and told it to "write". I them got the following error message "Not enough space on disk: size 73728 sectors Available 60800 sectors Sector Size 512" I am assuming that I will be needing a larger SD Card? Is that correct? I am going to go buy one just to be safe but I would like to know for sure since the install docs state a 32 mb card.

Oh snap, you're right. The image contains two filesystems, one 9mb and the other 20MB so my math said 29MB < 32MB so it is good to go. I forgot to take into account that the partitions are spaced out so the first starts at the 8MB mark. Modern SD cards prefer things on 4MB block boundaries so that's what the image is built with so the documentation is wrong, you need a larger card.

I'm sure you're anxious to try the HeaterMeter out though, so as a small consolation I built a smaller image that should fit on your card
http://home.capnbry.net:22674/rpi/

File:
openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img

(bonus: it is a prerelease you'll have a couple of days before everyone else!)

Hey Bryan, I already went out and picked up a 16gig SD card. It was on sale for $10.00. Win32diskimager liked this card. Thank you so much for all your work. Should I go ahead and use the updated file? Is there an advantage to using it?

Oh no, I'd stick with the default image from the capnbry.net snapshots. There's still a couple things to tweak before release and I don't want you to have a bad experience of something not working as well as it would with the release. Sorry again about the misinformation, I'll update the wiki.

Bryan, don't worry about it. With everything you do for all of us, this does not even qualify as a problem. Thanks for all your efforts.

Back