Fuse/snake method for a 22 wsm.

Tony Tintari

Hello,
So I'm wondering if anyone has used the fuse method for charcoal using the 22? I just did an overnight cook and the cooker stayed well at 250 but I'd rather have it in the 225 range. I used the minion method on the cook btw.
Thanks,
Tony 2 Bones BBQ

The methond does not matter, it is the amount of air that is getting to the coals that affects the temp. Just shut the bottom vents a touch more and it should settle in at a lower temps. Is there a reason you want to switch the temps?

I actually use a temp control and was looking to keep the temp lower(225ish) and see if anyone got a longer burn using this method. I got about 6-7 hours before having to add more fuel with an ambient temp outside about 50 degrees. The 22" seems to want to settle in at 270ish, which is higher than I want. That all being said I was using sand as a heat sink just to see what it would do.

I'm far from an expert, but my first cook was attempted with the snake method with water in the pan. Every cook there after I've used to Minion method and a dry foiled pan... The most recent was a pork butt which easily settled between 225 and 250 throughout the cook. With roughly 15#s of kbb, the cook was completed in just under 12 hours but could have continued cooking several more given the amount of charcoal remaining in the basket. All cookers run a little differently, but from my notes on that cook, it looks like I ran 2 vents fully closed and the remaining bouncing between 25%-50% open throughout most of the cook with ambient temp around 60 degrees and very little wind.

Hope this helps

I use the snake when I have a short cook. I still have to control vents to manage air flow to maintain 225 - 250* but generally I am happy with it on rib cooks and the like.

Last edited:
Brian,
I did a dry pan with the vent to the stoker and the top vent closed 50%. The other two were closed and it ran like a champ. Thanks

I'm glad to hear it worked out! Just to clarify, my top vent was between 75-100% open throughout the cook. I should have more clearly said "the remaining bottom vent bounced between 25-50% open throughout most of the cook... 50% closed on the top vent shouldn't hurt anything but I've read here from folks much smarter and more experienced than I, to not close the top vent past 50% unless you're done cooking and looking to extinguish the fire to save the charcoal for next time.

Tony, I have a question for you.... what were you cooking over night that 250 was too high a temp for you?
I think a 25º difference would not make a difference unless it is the coal consumption you're concerned about...

Hey Jim,
So I should clarify that I did have to fight the smoker a bit to keep it around 250. It tends to want to settle around 275 and I found myself yo-yoing between 200-275 which we all know is not good. Just trying to find an even, long burn without water in the pan to get a great bark. The couple times I've used water in the pan the smoker stays in the 225-250 zone fantastically but gives me a soft underdeveloped bark. Trying to find that balance.

Sorry, I don't know why you want to use a snake. Are you thinking that will bring your temps down?

There's no reason to use one in a wsm.

Just finished a 15 hour smoke

Hey Jim,
So I should clarify that I did have to fight the smoker a bit to keep it around 250. It tends to want to settle around 275 and I found myself yo-yoing between 200-275 which we all know is not good. Just trying to find an even, long burn without water in the pan to get a great bark. The couple times I've used water in the pan the smoker stays in the 225-250 zone fantastically but gives me a soft underdeveloped bark. Trying to find that balance.

Tony, I did an overnight smoke last night. Started at 9pm with 10 lb of Ozark Oak lump - Minion method - I got my temps stabilized at 240 about 11 (2 bottom vents closed, 1 at about 30%). When I got up at 5:30, I was down to 220 - I looked at the charcoal - still a bunch left - opened 2 vents - at 7:30, up to 260, went back to 1 vent at about 50%.

Eventually, I had to add charcoal - about 3 lb.

I'm using steel for a thermal sink - some disks of stainless in the water bowl then I put foil over the whole thing. I don't see smoke coming from the door - I see a little around the top cover - but mostly from the top vent that I keep at 100% open.

Back