22-1/2 WSM Door Handle Repair

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
This past Saturday I went to open the door to add some charcoal and the handle fell apart. The brass sleeve in the plastic handle (that's pressed in) worked it's way out. I ended up having to duct tape the door on to finish the cook. Yes, Weber is sending me a new door assembly. I still think there is a problem with the internally threaded brass sleeve staying in the plastic handle.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on a fix?

MikeZ

I've only had my WSM since November, but it's been used a lot. No issues yet, but I can see where that would be a swift kick...

The brass insert had popped off my door as well, and I had superglued the brass insert into the knob. It worked for a bit, but like you, it popped off during a cook and I used some metal duct tap to keep the door closed.

Weber sent me a new door too, and it will come with the handle attached and ready to go, so you you should be fine. Just don't fiddle with the screw or try to tighten it too much.

It really bother's me that Weber can't get a quality door on the WSM. It seems like it should be a no brainer to put a nice solid handle with a good long latch on a quality door. Arrrrgh.

The door handle is a frequent failer for me. In the five wsms me and my team mate own, its failed on three, with this brass bit in the plastic being the issue. They always replace it.

Same happened to me I took it apart and used a zinc 1/4 x 2" lag bolt that threaded into the plastic hole in the Handle where the brass piece used to be. Worked perfect. I did get weber to send Another door in case this did not work. It's held up for a few cooks now with no issue* edit the lag was bigger than I thought

Last edited:
Used JB Weld inside to "glue" it and its working just fine for now.........and YES they should come up with better
door latch. They must of replace 1000s of door .

Peter

Back