What do you do for you bbq baked beans?

MikeD125

TVWBB All-Star
Looking around the forum I see alot of you guys/gals make bbq baked beans and they all look great! I see some people do it from scratch while others take premade mixtures and add their own items to them. So I was wondering, what's your favorite method of doing them (recipe)?!

Last edited:
Here are a couple ideas. The first is from Cook's Illustrated

1 pound dried navy beans (about 2 ½ cups), picked over and rinsed
1 tablespoon baking soda
6 ounces salt pork, rind removed, cut into ¼-inch pieces
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cups water
5 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
5 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar *
Salt and pepper

1. Heat cooker to 350 degrees. Bring 3 quarts water, beans, and baking soda to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer briskly for 20 minutes. Drain beans in colander. Rinse beans and pot.

2. Cook salt pork in now-empty pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in water, beans, sugar, ¼ cup molasses, Worcestershire, 1 tablespoon mustard, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to boil. Cover, transfer to cooker, and cook until beans are nearly tender, about 1 ½ hours.

3. Remove lid and continue to cook until beans are completely tender, about 30 minutes longer. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon molasses and remaining 1 teaspoon mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. (Beans can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2012-10-12). The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbooks). Boston Common Press. Kindle Edition.

...and the second is an old favorite: Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans:

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in Dutch Oven or Bean Pot until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

Hey Mike, I've been really interested in doing baked beans in the smoker under ribs using the drippings for flavor. I want to start off with dried beans first so am really interested in this post too.

I cheat...
I buy bush beans and add my rib tips and or left over bbq pork. A little cayenne pepper and a little bbq sauce.

I cheat...
I buy bush beans and add my rib tips and or left over bbq pork. A little cayenne pepper and a little bbq sauce.

Shhhh!!!

Everyone thinks I sweat all day in the kitchen to make my beans, but it's pretty easy.

I start with two big cans of regular Bush beans (20 some ounce), and drain as much of the sauce I can. Then I get one can of black beans and one can of kidney beans (12 Ounce?), and drain those, and rinse.

Then I'll add some BBQ sauce, a little garlic powder, one diced and sauted onion, and I always save some leftover pulled pork from the last cook, and will chop up about 1/2 a pound and add that as well. I'll let at all simmer for an hour or so, and depending on the crowd, I might add some chili or cayenne powder, and maybe a pinch of cumin.

This stuff goes pretty quick.

We've been making these close to 20 years -- ever since my mom gave my husband this cookbook at Christmas (my mom has been gone for a bit more than six years). We have NEVER served them to a single soul who didn't ask for the recipe. We don't let anything drip in them as some of you might like, as we always put them on the top rack. I guess they're so good that we're going for consistency.

Best Ever Baked Beans

Makes 8 to 10 servings. Recipe from “Cook’n Cajun Water Smoker Cookbook” by Sondra Hester.

4 to 5 lbs. canned Pork and Beans
1/2 cup Onion - chopped
1/2 cup Celery - chopped
1/3 cup Bell pepper - chopped
2 Tablespoons prepared Mustard
1/2 cup Molasses
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 to 4 drops Tabasco
1/2 cup Barbecue sauce - bottled or homemade
1/2 cup Catsup
2 Strips bacon - uncooked and cut in half

Combine all ingredients, except bacon, in large ovenproof container. Lay bacon strips on top. Place on smoker grid and smoke for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

Note from me: If you don’t have a smoker, you can cook at about 350F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the bacon is curling. Better flavor in a smoker, but divine beans without!

Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans mentioned above is an amazing recipe. Super long and successful thread about them with many rave reviews on SMF. Our favorite for sure.

i use alton browns version in the crock pot
wanting to try em under some ribs or pulled pork as well

1 pound dried Great Northern beans
1 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
Vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions
Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Soak beans in a plastic container overnight in just enough cold water to submerge them completely.

Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat and stir in the bacon, onion, and jalapenos until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, dark brown sugar, and molasses.

Drain the beans and reserve the soaking liquid. Add the drained beans to the Dutch oven. Place the soaking liquid in a measuring cup and add enough vegetable broth to equal 4 cups of liquid. Add the liquid to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add in cayenne, black pepper and salt. Give them a stir and cover with the lid. Place the Dutch oven in the oven for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...nd-future-beans-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Back